So, does kibble do anything to help their teeth? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

So, does kibble do anything to help their teeth?

Zoe has been on wet food for like, two years now.
Getting her teeth brushed every morning, but she's got some plaque build up and I'm going to take her in in a couple weeks to get her teeth cleaned by the vet.
My vet gave me some kibble she said would help her teeth if she got 1/8 cup a day in addition to her normal wet food.
But...my previous vet said kibble does nothing to help their teeth.

What's the truth? Is this vet just trying to sell me food?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:20 PM
Premier Cat

*IF* the kibble is designed for tooth help then perhaps. They make the kibbles bigger that require them to break them up and I believe they make them harder (crunchier)...

Imo it's not worth the dangers and dehydration that dry poses to cats. Better to schedule periodic cleanings with the vet and keep them on canned.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Cool Cat

I think the kibbles that are actually designed to clean teeth do have some effect. The kibbles are so large that the cats must chew, unlike with normal kibble that they mainly swallow whole. I'm still not sure if they get up at the gum line though.

You might be better off buying a water additive or rubbing some petzlife gel on her teeth a few times a week in addition to your daily brushing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

We got the gel actually for our puppies!
I'll see how she takes a bit of it tomorrow morning I guess o-o
It says to withhold food for at least half hour, so as long as I do it before 7:30 she'll have time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Tom Cat

I don't know about kibble in general, but Hills/Science Diet makes a dental food called TD that isn't bad. We've been buying it for a while now and it does seem to keep the tartar at bay to some degree. We just put down about a dozen pieces at a time (the individual kibbles are quite big) in addition to their normal dry food.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Senior Cat

The dangers and negative health effects of kibble, in the long run, outweigh ANY possible "dental" effects they may have. Over my months of research on a raw diet for my elderly cat, I read many studies that indicated that many vets' offices are funded by Science Diet/Hills/other pet food companies and the vets make commission money off of selling their foods. So yes, most vets are heavily biased towards pressing kibble onto pet owners.

IMO, it's better to subject a kitty to routine dental cleanings than risk their health on kibble.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 04:00 PM
Tom Cat

I'd be risking my own health if I tried to brush my big male cat's teeth. He has big fangs and loves to practice using them on all sorts of things - everything from chunks of cardboard in the recycling bin to mice that our female cat brings in from the garden.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 04:07 PM
Cat Addict

Only one of mine has had this problem and I don't like dry food as a main diet (although they all get a bit in the wider pattern). This is going to sound odd and I will probably be shot down in flames (I do know dog stuff isn't good for cats) but I have taken to giving her half a dog treat every day and she loves them and really crunches them and it seems to have cured the problem.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah I actually watched her with this kibble the vet gave us, and she doesn't even chew it at all, she swallows the bits whole.
So, definitely not buying it for her as a staple food. She can have bits of it as a treat like with all her other bits of dried treats since it was a sample anyway, I'm not out any money.
(Though give Zoe the choice and she'll happily scarf down the whole container of bonito flakes, she prefers that treat)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
This is going to sound odd and I will probably be shot down in flames (I do know dog stuff isn't good for cats) but I have taken to giving her half a dog treat every day and she loves them and really crunches them and it seems to have cured the problem.
The vast majority of high end dog treats are perfectly fine for cats. Don't think they'll really help the teeth (unless it's a dental treat). I give Holly dog treats and Jake cat treats all the time. Just easier grabbing one bag....

It's dog food that shouldn't be fed to a cat for a significant length of time because cats require a higher level of most nutritional components. And dog food can contain some low levels of ingredients that are really bad for cats, like garlic.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page