Omega 3 and Sardines - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Omega 3 and Sardines

I've been feeding raw with added Alnutrin supplement but failed to add Omega 3 to my cats diet. Omega 3 liquid seems quite expensive and I've read on this forum that feeding canned sardines packed in water with no added salt is a good way to give them their Omega 3. Is one or two sardines a week enough? Do you give your cat an entire sardine as a treat all at once or divide it up and add it to their daily meal so they get small amounts throughout the week?

How do you store the remaining sardines? Do you freeze them and pull them out as you need them? I'm not sure how long sardines will last in the fridge. Of course I would take the sardines out of the can and store in a glass container or freeze in a plastic zip lock bag if that's the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:51 AM
Premier Cat

IoM, it's not enough omega3. I do give them each 2 Sardines a week towards their omega3, but I didn't fee' it was enough so they get fishie pills.

There are just enough in the can for 2 each so no extras. When it was Book and Mow, I would freeze the extra two.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
IoM, it's not enough omega3. I do give them each 2 Sardines a week towards their omega3, but I didn't fee' it was enough so they get fishie pills.

There are just enough in the can for 2 each so no extras. When it was Book and Mow, I would freeze the extra two.
Now that I'm looking into this, I've noticed there isn't much study on how much omega 3 to safely give cats. I looked up to see how many mg of Omega 3 there is in a can of sardines. According to one cardiologist, there is approx 1.8 grams or 1800 mg of Omega 3 in a 4 oz can or approx 450 mg per sardine if there are 4 sardines in a can. For dogs, the study "suggests that a dose between 20-55mg combined EPA and DHA per pound of body weight is safe for dogs and cats" but it's a "guesstimate" on the cat. (from PetMD).

According to this article a 10 lb cat should get between 200 and 550mg of Omega 3 so one sardine should be plenty but is that per day? I'm assuming so. I guess that's where the fishie pills come in for the rest of the week since feeding canned sardines every day isn't good for them. Do you give your cats the fishie pills with every meal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 03:51 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Pat!
Maybe these links will help!
Sharon

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutritio...-for-your-pet/

http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+1400&aid=665

http://products.mercola.com/healthyp...-oil-for-pets/

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 06:54 AM
Senior Cat

I've heard from many sources that giving fish to cats is bad, even if it's as a supplement.

Plus, canned sardines that are intended for human consumption - even ones packed in water with no added salt - are probably are full of things that are bad for cats - and are likely still too high in sodium for cats.

My cat is on a fully raw diet with Alnutrin supplements as well. I give my girl this to get her Omegas in:

I buy the 9oz bottle. It IS on the expensive side, but I only give her two or three pumps a day, and a bottle lasts me a LONG time. I think my first bottle lasted me about 6 months.

I can't say for sure that it's doing anything overt, except... my cat used to have to be on amlodipine for her hypertension, and then I started giving her the oil, then a year later at her recheck, the vet said her hypertension was literally gone and she could stop the amlodipine. So, maybe coincidence, maybe not. XD

At any rate, I would advise giving your cat an oil, or squeezing out an Omega-3 capsule intended for humans (as 10cats2dogs listed in their first link). There are many reasons why feeding fish to cats is bad; I'm going to guess processed (and cooked!) sardines intended for human consumption are even worse for cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cats2dogs View Post
Hi Pat!
Maybe these links will help!
Very informative. Thank you. I like the idea of Krill Oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakotaWolf View Post
At any rate, I would advise giving your cat an oil, or squeezing out an Omega-3 capsule intended for humans
Thank you, I'll look into this too.

Last edited by marie73; 08-29-2015 at 02:55 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Premier Cat

I'm a raw feeder, I've used canned sardines once a week (used Tiki Cat's Sardines), but currently using fish oil into their meals. I don't think feeding canned, cooked sardines that have no added salt and packed in water is bad, actually. I just don't make it a daily thing. I've fed canned sardines as 1 meal (measured 3 oz) once a week. You definitely don't want to feed any raw fish to your cat. Raw fish has parasites.

Btw, I'm on a yahoo raw cat forum, members there DO feed canned sardines (no sodium, packed in water), mackerel, herring, anchovies once a week or they add fish oil supplements into their food. The only other way that I'm aware of is to feed grass fed meats (beef, lamb, venison, etc) or wild game. If you choose wild game, you'd need to freeze the meats for several days to weeks, depending on the source. Oh, you could also add in free-range, pastured eggs (yolks only), those would be great to up the Omega-3s as well, but I've never fed raw eggs myself.

If you choose fish oil/krill oil supplements, be sure it doesn't contain lemony flavors and are soy-free.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakotaWolf View Post
There are many reasons why feeding fish to cats is bad; I'm going to guess processed (and cooked!) sardines intended for human consumption are even worse for cats.
I respectfully disagree. My holistic raw feeding vet suggested them. Specifically the no salted added in spring water. You can buy them from Amazon if there isn't a Trader Joe's nearby.

I *LIKE* the fact it's made for human consumption, I know that the process is more regulated and less likely to have questionable ingredients scooped into the can with the fish during the packaging process.

If I'm going to give them an added something for their health, why not make it something they are going to go BONKERS for instead of a slimy processed oil squirted onto their food?

If you don't think the bottle you are buying is processed, much like my sardines, you are most likely very wrong. You can't just squeeze a raw sardine and get oil from it. The fish are processed and I'm going to guess (I didn't look up the process) that the oil you are buying is the by-product of canning the sardines sold for human consumption.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Senior Cat

Nah, MowMow, that wasn't my point - I know the oil I give to my cat is super-processed - it's not as simple as just grabbing a sardine and squeezing it in order to harvest its oil. XD (Although that would be kind of awesome!)

What I meant was - canned sardines are cooked and processed. Cats don't "naturally" eat cooked food. So, it's just based on my opinion mostly, but I'll never be convinced that a diet involving cooked food is "good" for a cat. If it's made for human consumption, it's likely wrong for cats right off the bat. I'm a bit of a soapboxer for a raw diet though, so I'm biased!

I'm sure it's not harmful overall to give a cat a sardine now and then, or a bit of other fish, but there are other options that just seem so much safer, especially with some of the stuff I've read on why fish is a terrible food for cats. Those studies/articles could be wrong (...and it seems like 90% of canned cat foods are primarily fish) but I just feel more comfortable overall giving my cat the oil, and not the fish itself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page