Neutering Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Neutering Question

I get Allie neutered on sep 8 they want me to drop her off at 8:30am and pickup at 3:30..

Should I pick her up earlier then that, I guess they want to monitor her but with free neutering you take them home right away...

How long should I let them watch over her? I will take her in Smokeys giant cat crate so she has plenty room. Im thinking to tell them I will pick her up at 1:30 or so.. I guess im a bit attatched to her already at 6 months and hate her being there stressed out all alone

Comments.....

Last edited by burt; 08-27-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Premier Cat

I would probably leave her there for the allotted time. A spay is a more invasive surgery than the neuter for a male and I'd want her to be where they could watch her for anesthesia issues. She won't be *THAT* stressed, she'll be pretty groggy for quite a while. They'll also probably keep her in their cage with a litterbox and access to water.

Very glad to hear you're worried about and missing your baby girl. I know you were concerned about your ability to bond with her, it doesn't seem like that was an issue. I'm happy for BOTH of you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 PM
Premier Cat

I think I'd worry what to do when she returns home and wants to run and jump around! Lol. I agree with MowMow, keep her there with the vet's as long as you can. She'll probably be sleeping it off after her surgery anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank You for the advice, I will keep her there
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
In rare instances, felines can experience pretty scary hallucinations under the influence of sedative drugs until they wear off sufficiently. The behaviors associated with those hallucinations can freak out some owners, which is one reason why vets don't like to release cats post-surgery until they have adequately regained their senses. In your girl's case, as a flat-faced breed, your vet is also going to want to monitor her airway and breathing during recovery. As others have said, your girl is going to spend the day sleeping it off, so she won't be unduly stressed during her recovery at the clinic.

Laurie
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Cool Cat

I felt the same way Burt, but I decided to leave my girls there until the recommended pickup. Ellie was completely out of it when I picked her up, and Tootsie was pretty groggy but more alert. Both vets said they pretty much just sleep and relax the whole time because they're so out of it, and if they're there longer the vet and vet techs can keep a close eye on them. My girls both were at the vet from about 7:30am-5pm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Cool Cat

It's much safer to leave her there as long as possible. If something goes wrong it's much better for her to be where she can receive immediate intervention.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:34 PM
sbg
Jr. Cat

When Pickle was done, I was to pick her up at 4:30, but they called and said they wanted to keep her longer because she wasn't coming out of it quickly enough for their peace of mind. I would have really freaked had I gotten her home and she would have take a turn or something - best to let them come out under a professional's guidance.

Like people coming out of anaesthesia, I'd imagine it's a bit disconcerting for those who haven't seen it a lot.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Premier Cat

They won't let her come home until she is fully awake from the anesthesia so I would not bother going earlier.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page