Nutrition options for my little boy post-urinary blockage - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Nutrition options for my little boy post-urinary blockage

I thought I did good, when we adopted our little guy from the shelter. Got him a fountain with filter, he liked it and drank from it. Migrated him to Blue. Thought it was nice, high protein, grain free, not the cheapest but reasonable. Looked good. Then he had hilarious gas. So read that fish is easier on stomach. So it was Blue Basics Fish recipe for several months. He filled out, coat got glassy and nice, everyone was happy.

Until he got a UTI and blockage =(

Now reading I realize we need canned food for moisture content boost.
And that fish is the worst due to higher bone and thus phosphorus/calcium/magnesium crystal forming minerals.
=(

He's on Royal Canin SO cans by order of vet. But looking at the ingredients and feel like I am short changing him on diet quality.

Weruva looks like one of the best options. Chicken Frick a Zee especially seems perfect.
Grain free, 67%protein 25% fat excellent
2.7% carb, almost a diabetic formula, but some say low carb promotes proper ph balance to prevent crystals as well.

.81 phos really low
.07 mag is almost non existant

Ive been googling, and I cant find anything that comes close to this. Any other good options?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Menel!
We have some pretty savvy cat food people here, I hope they can help you out shortly!
What did he block with? Struvite Crystals, or Oxalate Crystals/stones?
You're on the right track at least!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Struvite :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 01:26 AM
Premier Cat

Menel,
Of the two types of crystals, the Struvite, is actually the better of the two...if a cat has to have one...
Struvite crystals can be dissolved by dietary changes...
Oxalate Crystals will turn into stones, that often end up requiring surgery...

I don't know how much your vet explained, so I'm going to add some links...
(I've got one girl kitty, that had a bout, with Struvite Crystals, so I know how stressful it is...for both of you...).
Sharon

These will give a pretty good understanding of the causes, and what to do...

http://www.harpsie.com/flutd.htm

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides...tract-problems

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/healt...re_urinary.cfm

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Nutrition options for my little boy post-urinary blockage

Got checkup, all good.

Asked my regular vet as a second opinion about the low magnesium/phosphorous food, and the lower carb food. However, he still advised sticking with the Urinary SO food full time for the acidfiers that are added.

So I setup scheduled shipments from chewy.com. Still tempted to lower to one can of SO a day, with the other being a low carb/phos/mag source like some of the Weruva recipes.
http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChar...rus9-22-12.pdf
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Cat

Hi Menel.

Good to hear his checkup went well. My cat had struvite crystals also. My vet said the same thing as far as keeping the urine ph in range so the crystals wouldn't form. I still feed him a bit of his dry Blue Buffalo chicken though. I never could get him to totally switch. He hates all the urinary tract foods I've tried. So I ended up feeding the one he hated the least..... When I asked the vet about that he said that the more expensive foods are probably more stringent when they test for the levels of what causes the crystals. So even though his dry food isn't acidifying the levels are low enough and the small amount I feed him of it isn't enough to cause problems. Your lucky if your cat likes his Royal Canin So. Sometimes I'll mix in extra water with his food also. My cat rarely drinks from his bowl or fountain so its the only way to get extra in him.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
I thought I did good, when we adopted our little guy from the shelter. Got him a fountain with filter, he liked it and drank from it. Migrated him to Blue. Thought it was nice, high protein, grain free, not the cheapest but reasonable. Looked good. Then he had hilarious gas. So read that fish is easier on stomach. So it was Blue Basics Fish recipe for several months. He filled out, coat got glassy and nice, everyone was happy.

Until he got a UTI and blockage =(

Now reading I realize we need canned food for moisture content boost.
And that fish is the worst due to higher bone and thus phosphorus/calcium/magnesium crystal forming minerals.
=(

He's on Royal Canin SO cans by order of vet. But looking at the ingredients and feel like I am short changing him on diet quality.

Weruva looks like one of the best options. Chicken Frick a Zee especially seems perfect.
Grain free, 67%protein 25% fat excellent
2.7% carb, almost a diabetic formula, but some say low carb promotes proper ph balance to prevent crystals as well.

.81 phos really low
.07 mag is almost non existant
"Fish is easier on the stomach"? I've never heard one before!

Well reading your intro, it looks like fish based kibbles were the biggest cause of your problem, but you've learned a great deal.

You want to look for high protein (no seafood), but one that is mainly animal based protein as meats tends to be naturally acidic. Food with lots of plant based formulations are a problem, in my opinion. These days companies add in peas, tapioca, potatoes, carrots, etc. While sounds great to the average consumer, do carnivorous cats need them? I hardly think so.

Here's a link to help you search for more quality canned food by one of my local independent stores in my area. One of the best resources for finding good quality pet foods can be found in your small, privately owned pet stores. They always provide me with excellent service, competitive prices (compared to big box pet stores), and even have a rewards program. The staff who work there are all quite informative about products they sell, quite a big difference from those big box pet food stores.

Best diet for cats with Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease FLUTD

Healthy wishes to your kitty.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
However, he still advised sticking with the Urinary SO food full time for the acidfiers that are added.
I actually agree with the vet in this case. I'm usually an opponent of most prescription foods, but there are some urinary issues, not necessarily always crystals, that are a result of a pH imbalance. In those cases, it is best to be able to adjust pH, which is difficult to do with a standard diet.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page