Cat Flea treatment? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat Flea treatment?

My cat is on revolution for like over 7 months now but he has been itching and licking himself on and off. I don't think this treatment is working on him and i am considering switching him to another kind.
Just wondering if i can just switch it or do i have to wait a specific amount of time before switching brands?
Also I'm considering either advantage or frontline plus/combo which one would you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Itching and licking can be caused by other things. You need to first confirm that the problem is being caused by fleas. You may not be able to see any fleas, but if they are present they are pooping and you can test for them.

Lay some white paper towels or and old white sheet down and place the cat on it. Brush vigorously in the following areas: base of the ears, neck, arm pits, base of tail, around the anus. I find brushing against the direction of the fur is better for dislodging flea dirt. If black specs appear of the white background, wet them...if they turn red then it's flea dirt (which is dried blood).

If you don't find any evidence of fleas, then you have a different issue going on. If you do, then the problem may be bigger than the Revolution can handle if your home is infested and you will need to treat the environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 04:49 PM
Cat

I have three cats, and Advantage II has worked perfectly for all of them.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM
Cool Cat

I agree with Doodlebug. Scratching alone is not always an indication of fleas. This could be a food allergy, allergy to something in the home, etc. Look at your cat's skin closely to look for signs of fleas - usually the easiest sign is the little black specks of flea dander. If those aren't present, this is most likely something other than fleas. Or, like Doodlebug said, it may be a larger problem than the medication can handle.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Kitten

Sounds a little like dermatitis. I had a cat who had this once, its an itchy allergic reaction that can be brought on by just one or two flea bites and (for my cat anyways) seemed to persist long after the fleas were gone. The vet gave my cat an antihistamine that would help with the problem. Treatment was very inexpensive and seemed to help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'm sure my house is not infested because we're a clean freak family, we clean everything like everyday it's crazy. And i did put him on hypoallergic food but it does not seem to help at all, if anything he's been getting worst and worst. i took him to the vet and they wanted to try changing the food (which i did) but i think i read somewhere and sometimes some type of flea treatment just won't work on certain kitties so i thought i try changing it just to see if it makes a difference. :\
better than doing nothing?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Did you do the test I outlined? It doesn't make any sense to do anything about flea treatments if you don't know if the cat actually has fleas. In fact, if he did have fleas and the Revolution hasn't been working then your house would be infested by now. So I really don't think you're dealing with a flea problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page