Beastie Band caused hair loss? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Beastie Band caused hair loss?

Peter is a door dasher, so in spite of being an indoor cat, he wears a collar. He is microchipped, but too many people don't check animals for chips so I am very uncomfortable with the idea of him not having a collar. We handle the door dashing well, but when maintenance comes to the apartment, they often let the cat out as other people in our complex have outdoor cats.

We took off his beastie band the other night to change patterns (we have about a dozen different ones) and his fur had been rubbed off to velvet. It looks like the collar broke the hair with its movement. There does NOT appear to be any skin irritation whatsoever--no pinkness at all on a white skinned cat. It just looks like his very plush coat had the hair broken off short by the collar.

Other than the aesthetic matter of him missing hair where it would be covered by fur anyway, as long as we check regularly for skin irritation (and we would immediately remove it if we saw any sign of irritation at all) would it harm him to continue wearing the collar?

He had been wearing that one collar for awhile as we had lost most of his non-seasonal beastie bands when we moved, but we just ordered a bunch more and now are back up to our usual dozen, which means collar changes will be very regular again. He's been wearing beastie bands for about a year and I had noticed the hair was shorter there awhile back, but it was not this short. He hates the nylon collars with the clasp and fights to get them off, but he doesn't even seem to notice he's wearing a beastie band.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Kitten

Beastie Band caused hair loss?

Have had a beastieband on my cat for 3-4months with no hairloss observation. It is a very soft neoprene type material, I cant imagine it causing this.

Had it off most recently, this past Sunday for a shower.

Since it is a porous? Nylon covered neoprene... Could it have picked up a bacteria?

You have photos?

Last edited by Menel; 09-03-2015 at 10:40 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I suppose it's possible--we HAVE switched to a new collar. His coat is so plush his hair all stands on end like mine does (I have very thick hair) and I can't wear hairbands regularly without my hair breaking off. We'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Cat Addict

Admitting my ignorance but this is the first time I have heard of a beastie band. How are they different to other collars?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Beastie bands are a neoprene collar with a soft backing. They clasp with velcro and stretch to pull off the cat's head if it gets caught. This means it lays very flat and is very soft. The soft backing (which is like a softer, velvety version of the soft side of velcro) grips the fur slightly, I find, so it doesn't slide. I LOVE these collars. I pair them with a boomerang tags CollarTag and he has nothing standing out from his fur, moving or jingling. He doesn't shred them trying to scratch them off like he does other collars.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Just saw the photo request! He was not best pleased and I had to hold his chin to get a good look--it's more pronounced under his chin than on the back-- but I hope you can make this out.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Tom Cat

I bought one of these, and my 4 year old Cali keeps getting one of her claws stuck in the collar and she cannot get it out. I have watched her and she will sit and lick her claw to try and free it. I have to pull her claw out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1083.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	94002  

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlapinta View Post
I bought one of these, and my 4 year old Cali keeps getting one of her claws stuck in the collar and she cannot get it out. I have watched her and she will sit and lick her claw to try and free it. I have to pull her claw out.
Time to trim her claws then!
Just take off the tips!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Peter's never had a claw get stuck, but I do keep his claws quite short. I'm overall very, very happy, except for this hair breakage issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page