Dark, black poop? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Dark, black poop?

So for the past few weeks I've been dealing with all kinds of poop issues with my cat.

Last month my cat had diarrhea for about a week and a half, turns out it was probably a chicken allergy as once I switched to a different protein (venison/brushtail from Addiction) the diarrhea immediately stopped.

But now I've been noticing that her poop is very dark, sometimes to the point where it looks black. I don't think it's blood since, well, I don't see any blood anywhere and it doesn't smell (any worse than normal anyways), it also appears pretty solid and not "tarry". I don't think it's dehydration either because she eats nothing but wet food.

The vet did prescribe her antibiotics for a week to see if it would help with the diarrhea so I was wondering if that or possibly the change in diet be responsible for her the color of her poop?

I plan on giving the vet a call tomorrow regardless but I was hoping to get some opinions anyways so that I don't spend all night googling myself into a panic...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Premier Cat

If those canned foods are darker meat, the poop will be dark too. I've fed venison, they are darker than chicken meat (like beef), but I also feed raw. I feel like canned foods usually ends up as dark brown, though.

You could also take in fresh stool samples to the vet and see if they can find out whether or not your cat does indeed have blood in her stool. Just because you can't see blood, it doesn't necessarily mean it's not present. If there happens to be an upper GI bleed, feces tends to be black. If the problem is in the lower GI tract (large intestine and near the rectum), the more likely you'll see the red. Hope it's not the case, but doesn't hurt to bring in a fresh sample to get the worry out of your mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page