I need another pair of arms! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I need another pair of arms!

We took Saxon to his appointment at the university veterinary clinic yesterday, to see a veterinary ophthalmologist - and three students, one resident, and seemingly everyone in the building. It took about three people to hold him still; although he was very good, he's just a really big, strong cat.

After numerous tests the ophthalmologist determined that he was most likely infected by chlamydia and should be on oral antibiotics for three weeks. We opted for a liquid formula, having had prior experience of cats spitting pills out and hiding them. We know he doesn't like pill pockets because our old female cat had them for her steroid pills and he never touched them.
This morning we started and were completely unsuccessful in getting any of the stuff into him. Even with my husband holding his body still, I can't get his head still and get his mouth open and get the syringe full of liquid anywhere near him.

I've given medication to squirmy cats in the past, but never had this much trouble or a cat this strong. Any suggestions short of taking him to the vet clinic down the road twice a day or hiring a third person to come in and help us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Cool Cat

It would take some time for your order to arrive, but I'd really recommend getting a cat-in-the-bag. That thing has done wonders with helping me restrain Amelia for nail clipping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Okay, I'll look into that. Maybe I could sew something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Cat Addict

Have you tried dipping the syringe into something he likes that he would lick so you can then sort of squirt the liquid in. I used to do this with a previous cat. Just an idea
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

He's not that food oriented, and is fast enough to draw back quickly, but I suppose it's worth a try.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Banned

I do not know if this will help, but this is the best solution I could find to help with my guy, is so much like a 'worm', and has so much strength! I am alone here, so I was stuck.
He was taking at one point, 5 meds a day for IBD. Now it is just 2.

This is what I do:
I put him behind me, on the left side of an armchair, body behind me, from chest to head in corner. I sit slightly turned, but trapping him in with my body. He cannot jump up, because he is restrained by my body. I get him against the back of the chair and the left solid arm. I put my left arm around him and open his mouth. He does struggle, but he is getting a bit better. Now I am telling him to "open" when I open his mouth. I slip the syringe in the corner of his mouth and squirt---not too hard or fast, just a quick gentle squeeze. Then I close his mouth, to make sure he swallows it. I also give him a chaser of some water..

I keep his mouth closed for a few seconds, to be sure he swallows all of it and does not spit it out or even drool it out.. The water helps with that.
I then take a napkin and wipe his face...making sure his mouth is closed.

In the beginning, he was horrible to medicate!
I found he would not swallow pills, even in gel caps! He would put them in the corner of his mouth, wait until I let him go. I would find them everywhere. Now he is much better. I also tell him to 'swallow'.

With the liquid, if he does not like the taste of it: some meds are impossible to make palatable ~~~ Artie will hold it in his mouth until I let him go.

I have found him, drooling it out all over the house!! It was really alarming the first time I saw drool hanging from both sides of his mouth!!!
Then I realized what it was from...Now I am wise to him..

I still have to sneak up on Artie for the meds. I try to do it when he is quiet and resting. Waking him while napping did not turn out well. He got very jittery of me, so I get him when he is resting or least expects it..

Hope this helps or gives you ideas...

Good Luck!

Last edited by Artiesmom1; 09-04-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typos
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Well, I've tried every suggestion and am on the verge of giving up and phoning the clinic to get the pill form. I've managed to get a very tiny amount of the liquid into him with his food, but usually only get away with that for the first meal of the day - he refuses to eat subsequent meals with even as little as 1cc of medicine. I suppose if I let him get really hungry he might eventually give in, but he seems to go a long time without eating and is a pretty hard headed cat.
Trying to get it directly into him has failed completely - he threw it all up last time, but not before twisting his head so violently that a good deal got all over his neck. He's like a furry boa constrictor from the shoulders up.
Oh well. Off to the pet store to get some samples of treats that I could hide a pill in. He refuses the pill pockets, but maybe there's something else he might eat that I could hide a pill in.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebS View Post
It would take some time for your order to arrive, but I'd really recommend getting a cat-in-the-bag. That thing has done wonders with helping me restrain Amelia for nail clipping.
I looked at that for Crisco. How does it help with nail clippings? I cannot get Crisco to sit still long enough to clip his tiny nails
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Cool Cat

Oh Amelia was not sitting still well for nail clippings at all. Then she'd get mad and bite and scratch and growl. She is a peach with the cat-in-the-bag. I put her in the bag and zip her up. Then, I take one front paw out through the neck hole and clip the nails. Next, the other front paw comes out and the first one goes back in. Finally, I unzip the bottom and take out one hind paw at a time for clipping. I was really impressed with the ease of nail clipping with her nice and calm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Success at last! We got the pill version and - fingers crossed - he will eat it crushed up in wet food. I just wish we hadn't bought that big expensive bottle of the liquid version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page