Putting off neutering my cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Putting off neutering my cat

He's about a year old but I'm dreading the idea. I will be getting it done but I just feel morally conflicted over it. Anyway, I want to chip him first but want to wait a bit longer for the neutering but am afraid how the vet will treat the issue as I'm assuming they have laws that require them to keep tabs on known non-fixed animals and by past experiences have observed them to be quite nosy about my pet situation. Will they require that I sign him up for a neutering in order to him chipped? Will just a phone call to a local vet put me on some list of owners with non-fixed animals or something? Not too concerned as last time years ago the local animal shelter attempted to strong arm me on the same issue I was offended they started threatening me I just told them I lost my cat, who eventually got fixed but still I just don't like govt officials over-meddling in my business. Just wondering how vets treat these issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

I have never heard of what you're talking about. Maybe the laws are different where you live. There are SO many reasons a cat should be neutered before reaching a year old, but chipping has nothing to do with it. At least where I live.

I wouldn't go to a vet for chipping, either. Our Humane Society does it once a month for a very small fee. No questions, no tracking, nothing.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Cool Cat

I don't know where you live but I've never heard of people being forced to neuter before getting a microchip. I also don't believe I've heard of any laws requiring vets to report your animals reproductive status. There may be instances where YOU might report it...perhaps on the census or when registering your pet if cat registration is required in your area. But I've never heard of a vet having to provide that info to anyone. Why would the government care anyway? Do you live somewhere with mandatory spay/neuter?

Now I know vets and animal shelters can get very pushy about neutering your pets but the government has nothing to do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Kitten

Your vet will probably try to pressure you into neutering your cat, but I have never heard of laws before that would require them to report you or where they would attempt to make you agree to neutering before getting a microchip.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Cat Addict

Here they do require to know whether a cat is intact for licensing purposes and will get that information from the vet. They charge a lot more for non-neutered animal license than for spayed/neutered. But a microchip can be placed without S/N. And I agree with the earlier mention to have the local humane society or ASPCA or even some shelters will chip a cat for much lower price than a vet, but they will all strongly encourage neutering. (We don't need any more baby kittens running around!)

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for your replies. I'm in SWFL
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Tom Cat

I hope you understand that shelters would like to see (almost) every animal spayed/neutered because they probably get very tired of being put in the position to kill perfectly healthy animals, sometimes even babies because people don't spay/neuter.
Could you please explain your moral conflict? I really would like to understand.

I am not a cat lady,
I am The Cat Lady!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Premier Cat

Please do this sooner rather than later. We don't need more cats out there contributing to the overpopulation of kittens. This just compounds a terrible problem. The surgery is quick and by the next morning he will be 100% his old self, only better. I can't imagine you LIKE that horribly strong pee odor or spraying he must be doing as an adult, so please, please, please get him neutered ASAP.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Premier Cat

Tom cats have extremely desperate desires to breed. How cruel it seems to me to keep him intact and force him to deal with those feelings.

HE doesn't understand over population of kittens or how many in tact males die each year because they have escaped their home and followed the enticing scent of a female in heat into traffic or into a stronger male's territory.

He just feels the constant frustration of NEEDING to mate and never to follow it up.

You accepted the responsibility of a pet, now be a responsible pet owner and do what should be done.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Tom Cat

^ This. He'll constantly be trying to get outside, where he'll be at risk of being run over by a car or eaten by coyotes (or whatever other large carnivores you have in your area). If he can't get outside he may try to spray around the house to mark it as his territory.

Don't anthropomorphize your cat. He won't feel less "manly" when he's neutered and won't realize that anything is missing. If you leave it too late he may carry some tomcat behaviours into his neutered life. I suspect that our male cat was neutered late, because when I walk him I have to make sure he only backs up to spray the same public bushes that dogs lift their legs to, not cars, garbage bins, or privately owned shrubbery. At least it doesn't have the distinctive "tomcat" odour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page