Ear issue? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Ear issue?

Today, I noticed that Onyx was cleaning his right ear a lot, and sometimes whining softly as he was cleaning it. Later, I noticed that he tilted his whole head any time I was petting him and my fingers got near his right ear. I think something is going on, and his ear his hurting him, but I don't see anything visibly wrong with it. Of course, I might just not know what to look for. I have not seen any blood.

What could be wrong? What should I be looking for? I'd prefer to avoid the vet, although of course I'll take him if I need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Onyx!
It could be something stuck deep inside his ear, it could be a deep infection...unfortunately many things...
And obviously, it really is bothering him...
The vet is the safest place to take him, to get his ear checked out...I wouldn't wait, till you actually see something, by then, it could cause hearing damage...
Good Luck!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hey Sharon, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely give the vet a call tomorrow to see about getting him an appointment. Poor little buddy, if it's not one thing, it's another. At least I'm a crazy cat person who'd rather spend her money on kitty than on food for herself hahaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:03 AM
Premier Cat

How's Onyx doing? I was going to suggest that you might try eardrops if Onyx is eating, drinking, peeing, pooping normally and the ear is the only thing that seems to be bothering him. Celia is prone to ear issues, and when she has flare-ups, she digs ferociously at her ears and makes a funny squeak-whimper kind of noise while doing so. If that's what you're talking about, Onyx may have ear mites or some other kind of ear infection. I have Zymox, which I don't think is prescription-only, but I'm not sure. Most recently, she had some kind of yeast infection, and I had different drops to put in her ears. She HATED them. H.A.T.E.D. them. Much more than the Zymox. But it's so nice not to see her scratching furiously and not to hear her squeaking.

Was he tilting his head towards your hand or away from it?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Tom Cat

Crisco had an ear infection when he first came home. His ears had black gook in them and there was a smell. He wasn't crying or scratching at his ears at all so I didn't know until I took him to the vet for a check up. It was not mites. The vet gave me drops to put in his ears and it cleared up within a week.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the concern, guys! I had forgotten yesterday was a holiday, so today would have been the first day I was able to call the vet. But for the past two days, he hasn't been messing with his ear at all, and he has let me touch it without complaint. He's back to his normal self, all litter box activity seems normal. I haven't called the vet, because if I can avoid the vet bill, I would like to, especially if it's going to be $100 to tell me he's perfectly fine.

I'll keep an eye on him, but I think he's fine! Although somehow, he's been gaining weight again, which I don't understand. Ah well, if it's not one thing, it's another with this cat haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page