Spaying a kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Spaying a kitten?

I want to have her spayed sooner than later, and the vet said that around Halloween would be the perfect time. However, I just read on another thread that it seems you should be there to monitor the cat so they don't chew on the stitches.
Well, with my class schedule and nobody to look after her when I'm away this concerns me. I definitely wouldn't want anything to go wrong, and I won't have time off until December 17th, over a month after her six-months.
I don't want her to be suffering with going into heat, so what is the best course of action?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:14 AM
Premier Cat

Hi SnowyOwl!
Could you keep her in a small area/room?
Is there ANY possibility that you could check on her between classes?

A small human babie 'onesie' has been used with good results, to keep a kitty from chewing on their stitches, that way she could still eat and drink, without a cone on her while you're at class.
MowMow used a 'onesie' on one of her kitties! She was very creative!
I'll try and find the thread she posted it on, for you!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Sadly, there is no possible way for me to check between classes. I live four miles from campus and ride the bus.
I can keep her in the bathroom like I did when I first brought her in, and I guess I could use that onesie, I just don't know how she'd be able to use the litter box
I'm generally gone for over six hours, and I have class M-F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 05:21 AM
Cool Cat

So she'll be 7 months old when you have your time off? I don't see anything wrong with waiting. There's a slight chance she'll go into heat before that but my vet has always recommended waiting until they are 6 months old anyway. You can always ask your vet if she thinks it's okay to wait or if she thinks it's okay for her to be unattended for long periods after the spay.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Premier Cat

Chewing or licking the stitches is a major concern. If they come out or separate it means more trips to the vet. You can solve this by keeping her in a cone - an eCollar. This is the safest way to ensure she does not lick or chew the stitches. I foster kittens and often have them spayed before adoption and i've had luck spraying using DermaPlast. It's a spray on antibacterial spray. I spray it on the stitches (which is actually glue) and one lick and they won't touch those stitches again! Use a cone or Dermaplast and you will be safe - and won't need to be home 24/7.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat

That sounds like a good idea, I'll talk with the vet when she gets her next exam.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Tom Cat

I just got Allie spayed, I pick her up in 2 hours...I just called a atore and they do have dermoplast antibacterial spray, so I will try that instead of a e collar cone.

It says its not approved for pets by the fda though???
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Tom Cat

I wonder if i put aloe vera on it, i have tons of plants and thats bitter stuff
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Tom Cat

Nevermind I read what Sharon thought so I located some bitter apple spray for cats to spray around the wound area
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Cat Addict

Burt! Before you spray her wound check to make sure your bitter spray isn't alcohol based!

Most anti-chew sprays are alcohol based and would sting like the dickens when sprayed on a wound. There are some that aren't and are safe for preventing suture chewing, double check the bottle before you spray!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page