Tips on cats and cones - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Tips on cats and cones

My new adopted cat has a bite on his leg (he used to be a stray outside) he's already been treated by my vet for it. He didn't need stitches, but he's on antibiotic and a steroid shot. The vet said he has to be coned 24/7 because he won't stop licking and biting the sore.
But now he's going utterly insane in it. Lashing out at the other cats, even at me. When he's not in a fit of rage, he's just laying stiffly on the rug. Not moving at all.

Does anyone have any tips on getting a cat adjusted to cone? It's a rubber flexible cone, not a stiff one. I do not know how long the injury will take to heal, but any tips would be helpful, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsbiianca View Post
...he won't stop licking and biting the sore.

But now he's going utterly insane in it. Lashing out at the other cats, even at me. When he's not in a fit of rage, he's just laying stiffly on the rug. Not moving at all.
Hi Itsbilanca and welcome to the forum !

Licking and (especially) biting a wound/surgical incision are textbook signs of PAIN.

"Lashing out" at the other cats and you - the "laying stiffly"......all, in themselves, signs of pain.

In my experience, Vets frequently ignore/minimize the potential for pain as an outcome...if you're going to continue using this Vet, then you'll need to keep this on a permanent checklist for future reference.

Around pain relief, you should be aware that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are being used more and more often in cats.....unfortunately, while we humans do very well with this class of drug.....cats do not (because, uniquely, cats cannot metabolize them as their livers have not evolved with the required enzymes) and the result is some degree of kidney tissue damage. It's best to politely decline NSAIDs and insist on an opiod like buprenorphine, tramadol or a 'pain patch'.

Hope that helps !
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you! Yeah, just took him to another vet today. She gave him another shot that will stop the urge for itching, licking and biting. Also gave him two weeks worth of volume. He's doing so much better today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page