Having a hard time jumping - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Having a hard time jumping

Aspen is a four year old domestic long hair who could have a bit of Maine Coon in her (she's 15 lbs). We recently adopted a dog (who can jump over baby gates), so I moved Aspen's food to the top of the fridge since it's one of her favorite spots to rest.
Recently, she has been having a hard time jumping on to the counter to get to the fridge.
The jump from the floor to the counter is 36".
The jump from the counter to the fridge is 32". This is the same height as the bathroom counters which she has no issue hopping up to get a drink of water.
When she jumps her back right leg curls up to catch the counter while her left leg is a couple seconds behind, still straight when she reaches the counter top.

Basically, I'm wondering if this repeated 3' jump is too high for her. I know Maine Coon's have a tendency to develop hip displaysia, but she's so young and far from being full Maine Coon.

Any ideas? I definitely think we need to head over to the vet, but what exactly am I looking for? Strained muscle? sore joints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Cat Addict

It could be either but I would think it's more likely a strain if it's suddenly happened. Lulu was like this about a year ago and that was a strain in her front leg. A vet visit is a good idea and the vet should look at both options
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Premier Cat

I don't know that I"d want a heavy cat like that jumping that height so frequently. Not entirely because of the up, but because of the DOWN. That's a lot of sudden harsh impact on joints.

It's not like jumping because they feel like it, it's a necessity and in order to eat she must jump.

I would see the vet and talk to them about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Cat Addict

Can you make some sort of feeding area the dog can't access, even a closed Rubbermaid container with a small cut out entrance.

3' is a pretty significant height if the 15-yo cat is experiencing the onset of arthritis or other joint aging decline.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

15 pounds, not 15 years old.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Cat Addict

Oops. Sorry about that.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

From the small bit of information I've read on hip dysplasia, some vets recommend encouraging the animal to jump to keep the muscles strong.
I'll be heading to the vet next week either way. In the meantime, I've pushed a stool up to the counter as a stepping stone. I'm leery about a tote or something along those lines since my dog is a food thief. She was on her own with puppies so she's pretty smart and sneaky when it comes to maneuvering her way. The last thing I want is for my UTI prone kitty to get stressed because the dog won't let her eat in peace.
Not that a painful leg isn't stressful; I guess I just don't know which is worse. Her and the dog are not quite besties yet. They more so just coexist with her hissing at the dog when play is trying to be instigated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page