Fleas on Mum and Kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Fleas on Mum and Kittens

So today we are taking the two week old kittens and mum to the vets, Mum has a bald lip and they all have fleas! We were trying to keep the flea problem under control with fleacombing and vaccuuming but today I saw one on a kittens leg and it was the last straw!

They have recommended front line spray for the kittens, do I have to keep mum away from them and is it dangerous to them in any way?

Someone mentioned to me yesterday that there is some controversy around front line at the moment and lots of people aren't using it - is that just with the spot on?

Its safe to say I'm over worrying, but I don't want to do something wrong and put their little lives at risk!

Lastly, does anyone have any tips on taking them all to the vets, last time Poppy kept her distance for a whole week afterwards and spent the rest of the day hunting for somewhere else to put the kittens (she didnt move them in the end), she was fine while we were there but she was clearly quite stressed afterwards....

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ok, so the vets trip went ok, we've been given treatments and Poppy doesn't seem to be in to much of a huff either which is nice!

Operation de-flea is underway. We've used strong hold on Poppy and a prescribed dosage based on their weight of Front Line spray on the kittens, we were given gloves, sprayed it in to a hand and rubbed it on the kittens. We had to keep Poppy from licking them so we popped them in the cage but only managed 30 minutes before she started stressing out. Aparently its unlikely to do any harm if she licks them and she seems ok today.

We are also treating the entire house. Vaccuuming first and then spraying - keeping Poppy and kittens out of each treated room for a few hours afterwards (though aparently the house spray the vets has given us is pretty safe too). Then we'll keep up the regular vaccuuming and bedding changes for a week or so.

Fingers crossed!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy18 View Post
Then we'll keep up the regular vaccuuming and bedding changes for a week or so.
Unfortunately, you're going to have to vacuum, do frequent laundering, spraying, etc. for A LOT longer than a week to get rid of fleas. More like months, I'm sorry to say. But when your kittens are old enough, I'd make sure they are all treated with Advantage II, Revolution, or an oral pill like Comfortis, or something similar. No cheap stuff or grocery store products!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

In that case we will most certainly vaccuum regularly for longer!

We always get our flea treatments from the vets anyway so will be sure to ask when we can spot on the kittens.

Thanks, I appreciate the pointers!

Any tips for stopping the fleas biting us too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page