Is Wellness or Holistic Select better? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Is Wellness or Holistic Select better?

It has been almost a week since I took Snowy to the vet and he is still very lethargic and depressed. So I took him to yet another vet recommend by another friend last night. As it turned out, Snowy had a very BAD case of constipation. The previous vet only made me buy some expensive Transfer Factor and told me to feed him Yakult everyday which wasn't really helping -_-
The new vet performed an enema last night and managed to remove one hard stool from Snowy. Once we reached home, Snowy pooped even more and he is back to his old self now! I never even realized how serious constipation can be until now

In any case, I finally decided to feed Snowy with grain-free wet food only now. I was still mixing Super Cat (not a good brand) in his wet food all these while coz of financial reasons but I don't wanna put Snowy through this ever again.

The only good grain-free wet food I can find in my country is Wellness and Holistic Select. At first, I thought Wellness is definitely better but after reading more, I discovered that there are quite a few people who wouldn't recommend Wellness because it contains guar gum.

The pet shop that sells these 2 brands is quite far from my house and I will be going there tomorrow to stock up. Which brand would you recommend? Or are they both good and should I just buy both and rotate giving them to Snowy?

Any help would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by marie73; 09-11-2015 at 04:10 AM. Reason: language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 05:14 AM
Cat

They both have iffy ingredients, sadly.

Wellness has guar gum and carrageenan, as well as a few other fillers (potatoes and peas) that are potential allergens for some pets.

Holistic Select has cassia and xanthan gum, and flaxseed (another allergen).

Personally, I think Holistic Select is the lesser of the two evils. I avoid foods with carrageenan like the plague and would much rather feed cassia/xanthan gums over that stuff any day.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh dear...and these 2 brands are all that is available in my country. The other available brands are the likes of Whiskas, Friskies, Fancy Feast and such

May I know why Carrageenan is so bad for cats?

I mean, I have been feeding Snowy Super Cat mixed with a bit of Fancy Feast since he was young. His poop has always been small and round (something I just discovered is actually NOT good) but he only began to have this really bad constipation problem recently.
I just discovered this new pet shop that carries Wellness and Holistic Select not too long ago and I have been feeding him a mix of Super Cat and Wellness starting about a month ago. Could the Wellness wet food actually be the thing that is causing him to have constipation problem?

I always thought Wellness was the better brand. It also costs more than the Holistic Select ones...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Cool Cat

I wouldn't feel bad about feeding either food. Of the additives mentioned carrageenan is probably the most risky, it is believed to be a possible carcinogen. At least when it is degraded. They don't put degraded carrageenan in food but it's possible is gets broken down into its dangerous form by our bodies (it's in human food too). However it's in almost all canned cat foods so very hard to avoid.

As for the others, I know nothing about cassia gum, but the rest are really only problems if they are problems. Allergens are only problematic if your cat is allergic. The other gums are mostly connected to digestive upset. If your cat starts having stomach problems then they could be the culprit but if he doesn't then there probably isn't anything to worry about. They are found in human foods as well (Cassia gum is only found in pet food).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page