Best Online Source Of Vet Advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Best Online Source Of Vet Advice

Hey Guys,
One of my cats has a problem that is stumping my regular vet a bit. The cat seems to have a cut under his tongue. The attempt was made yesterday to stitch the area up, but doc says that the flesh in that area seems to be abnormal. "Like a tumor" is the way he described it. He's not overly optimistic about how it will work out.

If what he did yesterday doesn't take, I'm looking around for other ideas. If anyone has been down this road with something similar, I'm interested in anything that you can contribute. But my overall question was where do you go online for the best vet advice (free or paid) when you need another opinion? Thanks and good health to you and your kitties.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Cat Addict

Hi Ron,

Here are some sites I use based on forum members' recommendations:

Tanya's site is based on kidney issues, but there is a LOT of other health topics there besides kidneys. Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

Dr. Mercola's site is one that Sharon often links to, and their information seems to be well thought out and reasonable. www.healthypets.mercola.com

For nutrition info only, Dr Pierson's site has a plethora of good information. Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Stryker many times references specific user support groups for cats with a known health condition (like diabetes or IBD). I don't have links for those.

And lastly, laurief and others have recommended seeking care for certain health issues at consulting University Veterinary programs, when a local vet (through no fault of their own) may not have as much diagnostic equipment, specific experience, or accessibility to latest research and techniques.

In your case, I don't know if an online search would help as much as a second opinion.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
I am surprised and dismayed that your vet didnt perform a biopsy of the abnormal looking tissue to send off to a lab for pathology. That's what should have been done, because no vet is going to diagnose this problem over the Internet. You need to take your cat immediately to a vet who will take a tissue biopsy and send it for evaluation and diagnosis. That's the only way you're going to know what you're dealing with, and the only way you and your vet will be able to determine the next step in his care and treatment.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks so much to both of you for the valuable suggestions and input. Treatment is already in motion, so we'll see what happens. I'll be back in a few days and give an update on the situation. Thanks again!

Ron
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Our vet ended up cutting out most, but not all, of what he described as abnormal flesh (tumor) from the bottom of our cat's tongue. He couldn't remove all of it, as there was just too much. At this point Kitty Gray has been back home for two days and is acting better than he has in awhile. He has a much better appetite than we've seen him have in weeks. It's canned food until his check-up in three weeks. We understand that there are no guarantees, especially since not all of the abnormal flesh could be removed. But for now at least I'm happy with what I see.

If the situation changes, it may be worthwhile to pursue some of the avenues presented above. Thanks again for the responses!

Ron
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Premier Cat

Probably WebMD. I've gotten some good advice but it always refers you to a vet which is the best answer anyways. You should probably get a second opinion.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Tom Cat

Perhaps you forgot, the vet did send some of the tissue to a lab, right?
Earlier you said treatment had begun. How do you treat something if you don't know what it is? Tumor-like; if it is tumor is it beguine or malignant? It could very well not be a tumor and need spacial treatment.

I am not a cat lady,
I am The Cat Lady!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Premier Cat

Another two sources is Winn Feline Foundation and Cornell University. Both on the web and both excellent.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The bottom line? I simply thought that in appreciation to those who tried to offer helpful advice that I would give an update. No...results from the area under the tongue were never sent off to be analyzed. I trusted my vet's judgment on whether that made sense from what he was seeing. We were hoping for enough of a recovery that our cat would have some quality time left. I was hoping for years, but it ended up being much shorter than that. He had some issues eating after the surgery. It was awkward for him to use his tongue. He would mainly bite at his food. But he was starting to put weight back on nonetheless. His follow-up visit to the vet looked promising as well. Then a few days ago he stopped eating or drinking. We managed to get him back into the vet yesterday morning. The area under his tongue had opened back up and just looked "rotten" for lack of a better term. There was nothing left to try. We spent the afternoon saying goodbye and had the vet stop by and put him to sleep last night. Thanks again to all who took the time to try and offer helpful advice. It might just help somebody else out.

RIP Kitty Gray. (He wasn't our only cat. But we're going to miss him anyway.) In the movie "Two Weeks" Sally Field's character had a memorable line. I remember it as, "I love my children equally. I just don't love them all the same." Very true. You were special and you will forever be missed, Kitty Gray. Best of luck to you and your kitties.

Last edited by marie73; 10-24-2015 at 11:37 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:06 AM
Premier Cat

Oh no. I am so sorry about Kitty Gray. It sounds like a very unusual condition that he was unfortunate enough to have to endure. Please feel free to post about him in the Rainbow Bridge forum if you like. I found it very comforting to talk about my kitty there after she passed away last year and to see the support from other members. Hugs to you and your family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page