Cat sneezing? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat sneezing?

Hi-

My one cat has started sneezing on and off about 4 days ago. He's around 3 years old maybe and in good health. There's no discharge from his nose or eyes. He may be swallowing more often but I'm not sure if it's real or in my head from staring at him so much. He's eating, drinking, and using the litter. He is laying around a little more than normal, I think.

I don't wanna rush off to vet if it will resolve on its on.

Another thing, about 2 weeks ago, my other cat went to the vet overnight for a dental cleaning and a few extractions. The day after he came home, he was sneezing for a few days.

Do you think this is something to be worried about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Premier Cat

Have your cats had their vaccines? It's possible if they haven't had their vaccines or boosters your cat that went to the vet may have picked up something and has passed it on to your other cat. Allergies are also a possibility, but the fact that your other cat was sneezing after being at the vet seems suspicious to me that he picked up something there.

Better to take your cat to the vet to be checked, rather than have him get sick.

You could also give him half a capsule of L-lysine 500 mg. (available at drug stores), break open capsule and mix half of powder with his morning meal and other hald with his evening meal. This is an immunity booster and may make him feel a bit better, and relieve his sneezing. Check out the link below:

The Cat Doctor & Friends - Veterinarian In Santa Clarita, CA USA :: Three Non-Prescription Remedies For Your Cat

Here's a list and schedule of cat vaccines:
Pet Vaccines: Schedules for Cats and Dogs

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

He was due for his yearly shots at the end of July. I haven't had a chance to get him there yet.

Would the duration of the shots still be active a little over a year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I have the lysine and will begin giving it him with his next meal.

I don't mind taking him into the vet but I tend to constantly over react and cause the cat stress and me tons of money for a quick exam and slap on the back telling me they're fine.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Nibbles-mommy!
Your first cat that had the dental work, may have been sneezing as a result of the tube being put down his throat, cats are harder to intubinate (sp?) than dogs are, so the tube can cause some irritation in the back of the throat, and the back of the nasal passages, where they drain into the throat...
Anything usually clears up in a few days!

Your other kitty, may have gotten a flare up of a 'cold' brought on by the stress of your first kitty, having to be gone to the vet!
The L-lysine is a good addition, but you can safely use 500mg. per day, you can split the dosage, so morning, and evening, is great.
L-lysine is water soluble, so any excess, is passed out!
Good Luck!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Premier Cat

Hi GoldCat!
Unfortunately, there is no vaccination that 'cures' the Herpes virus, which causes the sniffles, and weepy eyes of most cats infected, generally, a healthy cat keeps the virus under control, unless stressed, than their immune system becames weakened, and the virus starts replicating!
Usually this clears up on its own, as the cats immune system kicks back in, L-lysine can help immensely, as it helps to keep the virus from replicating.
The only time you need to worry, is if the nasal discharge, is turning yellowish, or greenish, than your cat has more than likely developed a secondary infection, that he/she will need antibiotics for.

There are vaccinations for a lot of Actual diseases that do help protect your cats from some of the worst diseases, and killers of cats though!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks a lot! Yeah that's what I figured. If there's no discharge, then a wait and see approach.

I'm on the process of trying to take his temperature now.

I'll report back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page