Ellie Threw Up a Tapeworm! :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ellie Threw Up a Tapeworm! :(

Ugh, so today I was horrified. I woke up to my boyfriend showing me something Ellie had vomited up (looked like a piece of tape she found... she'll eat anything ) and it had something that looked like a worm wrapped around it! It was only about 2 inches long and quite skinny, and after examining it we're almost positive it was a tapeworm.

I'm freaking out since I've never seen any symptoms that she had worms, never seen any worms when I scoop the litter box, etc. She and Tootsie get Revolution which treats two types of worms (hookworm and roundworm, I think) but not tapeworm.

My question is... where do I get dewormer? Is it something I have to get at the vet? My girls were dewormed by the breeder and both had clear fecals, so I've never actually dewormed either of them myself. Do I need to deworm them both to be safe?

Are tapeworms dangerous or difficult to get rid of? Worried cat mom here... sorry if I'm overreacting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:57 PM
Cat

I can't speak about felines, and I'm not sure if doggy-related information would be relevant here, but my dog, Butters, had tapeworms when she was a young pup.

She showed NO symptoms whatsoever (beyond pooping out little bits every now and again). The vet wanted to confirm it with a fecal sample, but of course, tapeworms only show up in the poop during certain times. Which means you either have to get lucky, or try to conserve a tapeworm sample from home.

Anyways, our vet was nice and took my word for it (since I KNEW it was a tapeworm), and gave us 2 tablets of "Virbantel" - a dewormer. I believe they have a cat equivalent available under the name of "Drontal", although it requires a prescription.

The pills worked well and she hasn't had a single worm-related issue since.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks so much for the response, Augustine! I was worried about the same thing. I've never seen a tapeworm when I scoop, and Ellie never buries her poo so I would've noticed. For this reason I was wary of spending the money of getting a fecal test done, since my vet is quite expensive.

I did find out about Drontal when I did some research. I also found something sold at pet stores called "TradeWinds Tape Worm Tablets" reviewers state that it has the same ingredients as Drontal. I'm a little wary but curious... I wonder if it would be as effective, or if I should just go to my vet and get the prescription Drontal.

TradeWinds Tape Worm Tabs Cat Tablets at PETCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 AM
Jr. Cat

When I dewormed jake with drontal it cost me about $10, its not too expensive. Not sure about the other stuff though. May be worth a call to the vet. When did your kitty's last get revolution? Tapeworm is usually spread through fleas, so if it's on the later side of their revolution cycle I'm thinking it could make it more likely to get tapeworm.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 12:23 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy and Ellie View Post
Thanks so much for the response, Augustine! I was worried about the same thing. I've never seen a tapeworm when I scoop, and Ellie never buries her poo so I would've noticed. For this reason I was wary of spending the money of getting a fecal test done, since my vet is quite expensive.

I did find out about Drontal when I did some research. I also found something sold at pet stores called "TradeWinds Tape Worm Tablets" reviewers state that it has the same ingredients as Drontal. I'm a little wary but curious... I wonder if it would be as effective, or if I should just go to my vet and get the prescription Drontal.

TradeWinds Tape Worm Tabs Cat Tablets at PETCO

I know what that is and though I had trouble using it (not good at pilling a cat ugh) the head of the rescue I got Vincent from suggested it when I found roundworm. So I'm thinking it's not a bad product at least.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 04:32 AM
Cool Cat

Oh yuck! So sorry for you...I'd be grossed out. I hope the deworming goes smoothly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 05:23 AM
Kitten

Maybe if you take what she threw up to the vets with you it will be enough evidence and they won't need to do a sample?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Premier Cat

It sounds like to me that Ellie vomited up a Round Worm, as Tape worms are not usually vomited, but segments of the worm may be seen coming out of or around the anus stuck in hair (looks like a rice kernel).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsSov1g89HI

Please see your vet for specific treatment of Round worms; do not buy over-the-counter stuff as it doesn't work.

Here's a link describing types of worms common to cats and their causes and tips for prevention:

Worms in Cats: An Infection of Intestinal Parasites

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Cat

More likely a round worm. get dewormed by vet, over counter stuff not good. They can lay dormant, so you might have thought all was clear and then they sneak back. They throw up round worms like linguini....tape worms you usually don't see like that.

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks so much for the comments and advice, everyone! It was definitely disgusting to discover.

So, if it's roundworms - I assume giving her a dose of Revolution will help? Her and Tootsie were due for a dose a few weeks ago, but I didn't see a sign of fleas so I ended up forgetting (oops). I know Revolution claims that it kills intestinal worms - roundworms and hookworms - in addition to the obvious fleas, heartworm, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page