New Adult Siamese Cat - Picky Eater - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New Adult Siamese Cat - Picky Eater

Hello all! I just a had an adult siamese cat and she has been handed down from owner to another until i got her under my care. She's been with me for 9 days now and still very skittish, though she's is now going out from her hiding place and i can touch her for a few seconds before she'll go running back to her hiding place.

Anyway, my concern right now is her food choices. She won't eat the wet food i have been preparing for her, for the past 8 days she refused to eat any wet food i gave her. I tried mixing it with her current dry food (whiskas), i also tried giving 1/2 dry food and 1/2 wet food on her food bowl, and serving each food separately. She won't touch the wet food and in the case of the mixed wet and dry food she wouldn't even touch it. What should I do? I have read articles on the health issues with cats fed with dry food only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 10:38 PM
Premier Cat

Imo too much change for this poor cat. I'd give her what she's used to eating until she's settled in. Once she's feeling more confidant then I'd try putting her on a feeding schedule. Either 2 or three (I feed 3) times per day. Three is perfect for what's next. After shes eating on a schedule replace ONE feeding with wet. Preferably the meal she's most hungry. For my cats that is breakfast. If she doesn't eat it, pick it up after 15-20 minutes and let her wait until the next scheduled feeding to eat again. Once you can get her eating it for ONE meal then after a while replace a second meal.

Even if she gets a tiny bit of dry (I'm talking in kernals, not in cups) she'll be OK.

Right now I'd just try to make her feel as safe and comfortable as possible. Cat's don't do change well and from what you've said she's been tossed around a lot. I sure hope this poor thing has FINALLY found a forever home.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:14 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Kamikaze,
I agree with MowMow, this poor kitty has been shuffled around so much...
She needs some peace and quiet, and a chance to settle in...
At this point, I wouldn't worry about WHAT she's eating, as long as she eating Something!
If she will only eat dry, feed her dry for now....
A quiet room, with food, water, and the litter pan, will give her a much needed chance, to unwind...
Patience, lots of patience, will be key, on your side, to winning her trust!
Please keep us updated!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Her eating pattern would usually be during dawn and breakfast. I work on Monday to Saturday that means i am away from home for about 10 to 12 hrs a day. So i can't really monitor her eating pattern, i just leave her a bowl of cat food so she can eat whenever she's hungry. Although as I've observed she's not really a big eater. A bowl of cat food will suffice for whole day of consumption and during night time around 11pm til dawn where she eats almost half of the food i serve. This is maybe because she's not really active and even though no one is in my room she still stays in her hiding place, she only go out at dawn and perch on my table.

I really want her eat and start socializing but i think it will really take a lot of time.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:31 AM
Premier Cat

Kamikaze,
Have you tried any Grain Free dry food with her?
Many cats develop allergies to the grains, corn, wheat, soy...
Do you live in the US or UK or??
We can suggest some different types, better then...
Sharon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi Sharon, I actually live in the Philippines. As a third world country it is really expensive maintaining grain free dry food for cat. But I will try what I can do to keep her in good health and condition. Right now I am feeding her Acana cat food.

anyway, i think she's in heat. i was able to touch her and the way she responds seems like a sign of a cat in heat, as i caress her head through her tail she would raise her behind. would it be advisable if introduce my friend's male cat to her and get her pregnant. when i took her, she was with her 1-year old kitten and they bond very well. Just that her previous owner decided to gave her away and keep her kitten. So maybe if she'll get pregnant and produce a litter it will bring back her mother instinct and somehow will lessen her depression. Also, I would really like to have a kitten but i will not be selfish if this isn't advisable for current situation.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:28 AM
Tom Cat

Do not let her get pregnant get her fixed when possible and just give her time. If she is depressed it's because she's been through so much already.

Last edited by marie73; 09-15-2015 at 02:32 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

ohhhh..why not, even in the near future when she's finally settled and comfortable with me.

Last edited by marie73; 09-15-2015 at 02:32 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:15 PM
Premier Cat

Well, though overpopulation of cats may not be the first thing to come to your mind, it is definitely a huge problem worldwide. If you want a kitten, adopt one from the shelter please, and save another life instead. Just because your cat has a litter doesn't mean they will all be adopted successfully, and having to care for litter properly is definitely NOT cheap!

If not for anything else, spay your cat for her health. A cat in heat will induce all tom cats in your area to visit your house (and spray, fight, etc), plus there's an extremely high risk she'll escape and become pregnant if she isn't already. She can be exposed to FeLV, FIV, and is much more prone to other disease if she's let out to roam. Also, the longer an intact cat goes into heat, the higher the chances of her getting mammary cancer in the future, or pyometra (uterine infection), both of which are aggressive and deadly in felines.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Premier Cat

Kamikaze,
TabbCatt is correct in stating what she has...
On top of what TC said...

Your new girl has been through a lot...including being pregnant already, when she, herself, wasn't finished growing...her bones, her organs, everything, has already taken a huge hit, because her little body had to pull from her energy, and reserves, to try to bring her pregnancy to term...

If you're concerned about affording a vet, just for her...
what are you going to do with sick kittens, that need vet care??

Will you do the honorable thing, and have the kittens spayed or neutered, before they leave?

Will you make sure they have their first shots?

Kittens need to stay with their mom for a minimum of eight weeks...twelve weeks, is even better, this is when they learn important socialization skills...

The food costs will be a lot more...
You will need more litter boxes, and you should be scooping twice a day...

These are my thoughts...on the situation...
Sharon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page