Cone problems wit newly neutered cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cone problems wit newly neutered cat

Hi. My male 4 month old kitten was neutered earlier today and I was given a cone to put on him if he kept licking the wound. He did, so I put it on him and he went mental and after a few minutes of panicstricken self violence, he managed to break the cone.

I don't have a spare and I can't get another until tomorow. And even if I could get a new cone he would probably only go mental again anyway. I would not say he licks exessivly, but he does lick more than usual. And if I try to make him stop he just moves and starts over again.

Any sugestions of what I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Premier Cat

I've heard of some owners use a onesie (infant bodysuit), but I don't know how well your cat will tolerate that. You may have to make do with something similar you currently have at home--an oversized stretchy sock, for example. I had my cat coned before, but he was able to easily slip out of it, you may need one that simply fits more snuggly around his neck but long enough that he can't reach that area. Ask for a smaller size from the vet if he's still licking, or see if there is any pain med that he can take to help calm him down a bit. It could be he's licking due to pain?

Last edited by TabbCatt; 09-14-2015 at 02:56 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Bachelor here. Onesies are not on the premises. Thanks anyway.
I'll try a smaller cone tomorow, but I was worried about the damage already being done by then as I can't stop him in my sleep, and I wont be able to put it on him until I get home from work. I guess I'll just have to hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Magnus!
If you've got cardboard, maybe you could use the broken cone as a pattern, and cut one out of the cardboard, tape over the edges, as cardboard can cause cuts!
The other two things, would be Bitter Apple spray, dabbed around the incision area, and some people recommend Dermaplast spray, found in the first aid aisle of most big stores...
Good Luck!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Haven't got any cardboard at the moment. And those other things falls in the category of things I can't get until tomorow. But thanks anyway.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Tom Cat

Are you sure he is really licking the wound hard, or just soothing it? My Crisco (6 months old) was just neutered last week. I was told by my vet they rarely have issues with males licking the wound. I brought him home and he starts licking. I called a friend of mine that works in a large emergency vet hospital ( after hours at my vet) She said they don't cone males after neutering. Just keep an eye on him. He licked a few times and that was it. He was running around the very next day.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Tom Cat

I used bitter apple for 3 days.....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

None of these sprays are familiar to me. We may not have them here. But he seems to have stopped by himself now. Let's hope it holds.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusruud View Post
None of these sprays are familiar to me. We may not have them here. But he seems to have stopped by himself now. Let's hope it holds.

He will most likely be fine without the cone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page