URGENT--What to feed kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Exclamation URGENT--What to feed kitten?

I found a feral kitten today. I estimate her to be 8 weeks old. I'm clueless on what to feed her. I gave her a piece of boiled chicken, but she just ate bits of it. I don't know whether if she's been weaned off her mother's milk, should I try to bottle feed her? What do you guys suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 AM
Cool Cat

How good are you at estimating age? You can probably find some guides online. If she is really about 8 weeks then she should be fine eating solid food. I'd try giving her some canned cat food and see if she'll eat that.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm pretty spot on at estimating age. The problem is that there are no stores open now. It's quite late in the evening. I'll have to get some cat food tomorrow.

Last edited by marie73; 09-17-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:15 AM
Cat

Raw goats milk would be great for her. They sell it frozen in many pet shops now, if you can't get it locally. This is in addition to wet kitten food, of course.

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Cat

There's nothing open now, so I was looking for substitute food. Things I can feed her that's already readily available at home.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Premier Cat

You can feed her raw meat, like chicken thighs, hearts, livers, gizzards, and tiny pieces of chicken wing or just the wing tip (bones). Smaller birds like quail or cornish hens are better, for a tiny kitty, though. You could also try slivers of raw beef, as in heart, liver, kidney, or regular muscle meat humans eat. No bovine bones, though...too big. Cut the meats into small bite sized pieces and see if she'll eat it. Most kittens are willing to eat almost anything, and raw is one of the healthiest foods for a carnivorous cat. Raw meat is much better for them than cooked meats, since it contains enzymes and vitamins which are lost through the heating process.

Caution: organ meats like kidney, spleen, livers will cause loose stools, give very small amounts with mostly muscle meats like hearts or thighs, legs (without bones).

Meat with bones like chicken wing tips or quail can be served as is... with bones, it will have a constipating effect, so don't give too much of that.

Fatty meats are good too, cats can process fats so much better than carbs in commercial food.

Last edited by TabbCatt; 09-15-2015 at 11:28 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

You have cats...just give her their food for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 07:41 AM
Premier Cat

At 8 weeks you can feed her any commercial canned kitten food.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
You have cats...just give her their food for now.
I don't have cats anymore actually.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Cat Addict

Josh,

I posted this on your other thread, but I think since you're such a kitten-magnet, it may be wise to work with the shelter in advance preparation for the next kitten that wanders into your life. They may be able to set you up to get some supplies in advance as well as provide you with the feeding and care instructions for the young kittens and also reserve a place for you to bring them to be adopted after you've cared for them.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page