Hi - help with giving pills please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Exclamation Hi - help with giving pills please

Hi there

I have a 7 year old male cat who Yesterday I took to the vet with severe diarrhoea and vomiting. She thinks he has IBS and a possible bacterial infection, as temperature heart rate and other bits all fine. She prescribed some antibiotics and a paste go help stop the diarrhoea and suggested a bland diet of boiled chicken or fish for 3 days

I have given up on the paste as its near on impossible to get near him with it and I would prefer he has the antibiotics over it without traumatising him any more. However the antibiotic is 1/4 of a pill and after several attempts of popping it in his mouth and spitting it out or foaming it out, he doesn't get any, it's dissolved and then retreats under the bed after the trauma of the exercise

Has anyone got a simpler way of trying to get a pill down? He's not really eating and I don't want to hide it in his food as I don't want to put him off eating any more as he's only had about 2 mouthfuls in 48 hours (he is drinking water)

Any help welcomed - never seen my boy so poorly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Premier Cat

Did you read the sticky on how to medicate cat yet? Tons of ideas there alone.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:48 PM
Premier Cat

You can try a pill shooter. It looks kind of like a syringe, and many people say it's easier than trying to hide a pill in food. Have you seen Pill Pockets? Many kitties like the taste. They're soft treats, sort of like a sticky dough, with a hole in the center where you put the pill. They're huge though, so you can get at least 3-4 "treats" out of each Pill Pocket. I stopped using them because they changed the formula and my cats no longer liked them. And the new ones you couldn't completely seal around a pill. They kept falling apart, and then the pill falls out and that's the end of that experiment.

But some kitties like the new formula better, so maybe it's worth a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Premier Cat

1/4 pill with be quite difficult to get in a pill popper. I would mash it and mix it with a couple drops of water then suck it up in a 1ml oral syringe (vet can give you one). I find administering liquids MUCH easier than pills.

Place the cat on the counter and cradle him under your left arm with his head facing forward away from you. Hold his head with your left hand and just put that syringe in the cheek pocket and press! Quick and easy.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

I would use tuna juice or some liquid from wet food with Marcia's plan.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Senior Cat

Not to belabor a point, but imagine how it would feel if you tried taking a medication (or a Tylenol) without water. That is how an animal feels when we try to administer medication by shoving it into their mouth and forcing them to swallow it dry. I used to think this was the "only way" as well.

Pilling Cats (and Dogs) and Erosive Esophagitis Compounded Flavored Liquid Alternatives Transdermal Medications by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM

Now I use a rotation of three different pill pocket type products, so my cat doesn't get "bored" or tired of one type and refuse to eat them:

My cat loves all of these products and as long as I switch them around, doesn't get "tired" of the treat. I always break each "pocket" in half as the pills/partial pills are so small, they don't need the fullsize pocket.

Before I switched to using pill pocket type products, I used a human pill grinder thing and mixed the ground powder into my cat's canned/raw food. I never had an issue with my cat refusing to eat the medicated food, even with different medications. Your kitty's mileage may vary, though :}

But, definitely do NOT try to just put the pill into his mouth dry. It's a traumatizing experience for you both :{

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Cool Cat

Hm. I have had fair luck with small pills coated with butter. Real butter, not margarine or "spread". Take cat by scruff, holding firmly against my own body with my arm, get that mouth open a bit and slide the pill (very slippery) in at the side/back. Hold the mouth shut and very gently massage the throat until I see/feel the cat swallow. Then give a treat, something special and delicious.

It's not a popular thing, but it has worked for me. I cannot imagine giving any pill or meds to my semi-feral cat, though! Best of luck to you. I agree that a dry pill, especially a broken one with sharp edges, would be horrid - both feel and taste.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Tom Cat

Have you tried crushing it to a fine powder and adding it to a little bit of soft food? Something nice and smelly that he really loves? Or maybe ask your vet for a sample of those pill pockets - some cats really like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page