What is the best cat food for IBS? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2
What is the best cat food for IBS?

Hi, my cat has recently been diagnosed with possible IBS

the vet gave me a list of foods that are good:

Lily's Kitchen (tins not trays as contain an additive)
Encore
Thrive
Nature's diet

I have found Lily's kitchen dry food easily at the supermarket and have tried a few bits - he seems to like that

I went to a pet shop and they had none of the above but the lady there suggested canagan - which she said was probably better. I bought 2 tins to try and gave him a few spoonfuls, which he gulped down immediately.

Has anyone got any experience with what has been better for their furry bundles with sensitive tummies? I appreciate it may be trial and error, but it all seems quite expensive (I don't mind too much, I can't put a price on my boy) but don't want to mess around too much with trial and error and mess around with his tummy in the process

He has been pretty poorly so introducing food again slowly. I have given up on getting antibiotics down him which the vet has said is ok as long as he starts eating again, and really want him eating normally again soon

Thank you

Bex and Buster
Bexf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 10:38 AM
Tom Cat
 
TranquilityBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 427
I like the ingredients in Nature's Variety: Instinct. I believe they have a 'Limited Ingredient Diet,' or "LID" line of foods designed for cases like yours. Best of luck to you and your kitty


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TranquilityBlue is offline  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 19,338
There really isn't any "best food" for IBS...every cat diagnosed with it is likely responding to any one (or more) of a number of things and it varies widely. Some have problems with corn, but not other grains. Others can't do any grains at all. For some it's certain proteins. It could be a response to different additives like carrageenan. And sometimes it doesn't matter what food you feed, none of it works and the cat needs to be on immune suppressants (my Kobi was one of these cats). Dry food is often very hard for them to digest. Some can't eat processed foods and need to be on raw.

I suggest you look for a high quality canned food with no grains, by-products, artificial color, or soy. Stick to a single protein choice that is something he has never eaten before. Feed nothing but this food for at least 6 weeks. If symptoms clear up, then you can try adding things back in one at a time to see where the problems lies.

I don't know enough about the foods you mention to know if they're good choices and the websites don't provide much info. One of them says their food is 65% chicken and doesn't mention anything else but vitamins and minerals. I know those aren't the remaining 35%. So no idea what else is in there.

In addition to the Nature's Variety Instinct already mentioned, brands that may be available to you that would be good choices are:

Wild Calling
Hound & Gatos
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient
Spring Naturals
Party Animal
Any brand that offers a 95% meat line


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
doodlebug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome