Kitten refusing to take milk? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Kitten refusing to take milk?

My new kitten is finally at home with me, and I decided to call her Bailey. I've been trying to get her to take milk since we got home, but she refuses to eat. The last time she ate was at around 4 pm and it's now 7 pm and she still refuses to eat. All she does is sleep under the warm light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Kitten from my friend

I'd like to introduce the kitten my friend asked me to take care of. Her name is Bailey I'm not sure what her sex is yet, but I'm presuming that it's a girl. At the moment, all she does is sleep, so I'm having a hard time getting her to take her KMR.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Premier Cat

She needs her strength so I would wake her and feed her every few hours. Get food into her system or she will crash. She is just barly weaning age, actually looks more like about 2 weeks. Hopefully you have a syringe to oral feed her if she is not lapping it up. Warm it slightly to body temp, too.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:05 AM
Premier Cat

She needs to be syringe fed and asap.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat

She started to take the milk from the bottle, but just a few mouthfuls then she stops again. Do you mean forcing it down if she's not lapping it up?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Premier Cat

Tiki,

I've never fed teensy babies before, but maybe this site can help you better? A syringe or eye dropper seems best for a tiny infant kitten than a bottle. Use Marcia's tip and warm the formula though! And yes, I think Marcia means force feeding the kitten every few hours, despite it being lethargic. A baby kitten would need 24 round the clock care and feeding, much like a human baby! Good luck!

Feeding Orphaned Kittens - Raising Happy Kittens
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Premier Cat

Be careful with the syringe as it may cause milk to go into her lungs. A dropper is probably a better way. She is so adorable! I hope everything turns out good for her.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlaya67 View Post
Be careful with the syringe as it may cause milk to go into her lungs. A dropper is probably a better way. She is so adorable! I hope everything turns out good for her.
It's still the same nothing has changed. She just showed interest once, where she suckled on the nipple of the bottle, but after that she began to squirm and cry again. I warm up her milk, then I have a bag of warm water under a towel, I place her on top of that and then I bring the nipple to her mouth, but she squirms and cries and refuses to take the bottle. Her stomach is rather big and it looks like she's full. Could she not be taking her milk because she's full? Her last meal was 11 hours ago.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Premier Cat

Has she been eliminating? That might explain the bloated belly and her not wanting to eat. She *IS* hungry if she hasn't eaten in 11 hours.

Please believe that I'm saying this out of care for the kittens and not out of harshness to you, but perhaps it would be better if you did take your future kittens to the shelter for care or ask the vet if they know anyone who fosters young kittens. Skimming through posts, it doesn't seem that you have the best luck with them pulling through. There is nothing saying you can't adopt them once they are well on their way to adulthood, but caring for young kittens is not easy and it's not something everyone is able to do.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Yes, she is eliminating. I've been stimulating her every time I check on her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page