Advice for Taking care a 4-weeks old kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Advice for Taking care a 4-weeks old kitten

Hello guys,

I need your help again. I will be adopting a 4-week old kitten soon but the problem is I will be at work for the most part of the day. She'll be accompanied by my adult cat. Any tips on how will raise this kitten. He will stay in my room with my adult. My adult cat is skittish and i think she will not hate the company of this kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:21 PM
Cat Addict

Ooh that's very very young. IF there is a choice it's better they stay with their mom till at least double this. At 4 weeks the kitten will need a lot of attention and feeding could still be on a milk replacement if not weaned. I think it's not best to leave this age kitten all day. Also you are assuming your older cat, you just got, is going to accept the kitten when she has barely settled herself. You cannot leave the kitten with the cat from day 1 and hope for the best. I don't think it's fair to either cat or are you taking several weeks off when the kitten arrives?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Premier Cat

You're adopting a 4 week old kitten? Seriously, that's like having a human baby/toddler...kitten would need frequent feedings, encouragement to urinate/defacate, and kept warm, I'd think. And feedings would probably be KMR or canned food...

I would refuse that kitten, and definitely leave it with momcat until at least 12 weeks. People often sell kittens 6-8 weeks, but then they ALWAYS complain of bad kitten habits developing, and even later--as it never really goes away, even as an adult cat.

Hope the kitten still has momcat or even its littermates....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Cat Addict

Agreed, the rescues I work with don't adopt until at least 8 weeks. For starters, you don't know that your adult cat will "accept" the kitten. You can't just put them both in the same room and expect it to work out. I recently adopted a 5 month old kitten, and it took about 3 - 4 weeks of keeping her in a separate room, letting my other cats smell her, letting them see her, then gradually introducing her in small increments. It can be quite time consuming, but the slower the better.

And as others have mentioned, 4 week old kittens need a LOT of care and attention. They need to eat every couple of hours (and they cannot eat dry food). And they can get sick very quickly, so it's really not a good idea to leave them unattended for several hours.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The story is actually i am not adopting this cat from a shelter. I have this neighbor who is giving out kittens, he said the kitten is now eating canned food. I am actually hesitant on adopting the kitten that young but i was concerned because he has already been giving out some of his kittens. I have heard rumors that there are some people adopting kittens to feed it to a snake. I am just concerned that it might happen and it can actually happen in my neighborhood. I think I can save one kitten, but if it can't work out then i will just have to turn down on adopting this kitten.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

In addition, I live in the Philippines where animal rights and pet breeding ethics are not generally followed. It breaks my heart to see that some of my countrymen have the audacity to post pictures in facebook roasting dogs and cats.

It's like a moral calling to adopt that kitten, I haven't had any connections to a non-profit private rescue organizations, but i am not giving this kitten to my local government operated shelter. I have seen a lot kittens die in their care and still countless dogs and cats suffering from a disease with no proper medication and care given.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Senior Cat

Hi kamikaze007 (kababayan!), I can give you some contacts via private message if you're interested?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by evince View Post
Hi kamikaze007 (kababayan!), I can give you some contacts via private message if you're interested?
that would be great I am from Cebu by the way.

though, i am finding a way to make this work. I am asking my mother to take care of the kitten while i am away. I hope she'll cooperate.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:49 PM
Cat Addict

I totally understand your reasons for wanting to save the kitten. We just don't want you to underestimate what you are taking on and then something go wrong with the kitten or have a home full of stressed cats and the issues that can come from this. If your mom will help and if you can get help from the local vet with how to care for the kitten plus the support contacts from Evince I hope it can work. Is there also any chance your neighbour can/will get their cat spayed so no more litters. Thank you for caring so much
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 07:48 AM
Premier Cat

4 weeks is entirely too young to be away from siblings or momma. This a tragic to me. The kitten is too young to be using a litter box reliably so you probably need to keep her kenneled with a litterbox nearby. Of course that means she will be left totally alone which I find very, very sad. One month old is barely weaning age - she needs soft moist food every few hours at that age.

There is a possiblility that you are incorrect about her age so if you can post a picture of her in your hand we can get a better idea of actual age. Many people underestimate age.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page