Dandruff - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Dandruff

Hi all,

My cat has recently developed a lot of white dandruff, mostly on her back & above her tail. She has a gray & black coat so it really shows up. When I groom her, I get a lot of hair & flakes, but there's always more.
Any ideas? She was a feral, so bathing is out of the question, and a trip to the vet is major trauma to her. She seems fine otherwise. I'm feeding a good quality dry food, she won't eat wet.

thanks!

p.s. feeding same food for many months, she didn't have dandruff before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:39 AM
Premier Cat

One of my cats used to get dandruff every now and then, and I could never figure out what triggered it. It would happen whether it was dry or humid out, and her food didn't change. I thought it would be related to dry skin, but her coat actually felt a little oily when she had dandruff. Celia got dandruff less frequently, but not at all in recent memory, so it does appear to be related to diet. She's eating better quality food, and the amount of dry had been decreasing over time, to none (or very, very little) now.

I think that others have said that omega3s are among the things that can help. I can't remember what else has been suggested - you could try a forum search for dandruff and see what comes up.

And I agree that there is no end to the dandruff when you're trying to brush it out! Just more and more flakes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Premier Cat

I can't say I really can pinpoint what causes dandruff in all cases, but there seems to be two types: one with oily skin/fur, and one with dry. Diet does seem to be a part of the issue, though sometimes it could be another cause, especially if she scratches a lot.

What did your cat eat before this dandruff issue, and what is she eating now? I don't ever bathe my cats, I've heard bathing them can dry out their skin even more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

dandruff

thanks all for info,

I don't bathe my feral (probably wouldn't let me lol), and she's been eating the same dry food for months and months. (Nulo Indoor Cat, a better quality no grain kibble, she won't eat wet).
Nothing has changed, can't think of a trigger. She seems happy.
I'm finally having some luck with salmon oil, the only people food she'll eat is cheese, so I put some on a plate and sprinkled some parm on it. That did the trick.
For now I won't worry about it, and just wait it out. . .
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Vee
Jr. Cat

My older cat got dandruff exactly where yours is getting it -- she was about 10 or 11 years old when I really noticed it when I brushed her. I attributed it to her not grooming herself as well as she had when younger. I think there is some kind of gland or something there which is partly why cats enjoy getting scratched there. She ate dry food all of her life (before I became more informed about it) without any kind of oil supplement.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

dandruff

update: I've been feeding salmon oil every day (at first she wouldn't touch it, so I put a little shredded parmesan cheese in it, she laps it right up)
I've noticed quite a bit of improvement, less flakes etc, so'll I'll keep going with the salmon oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page