Hi there from Virginia - question about worm/lizard/salamander? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi there from Virginia - question about worm/lizard/salamander?

Hi everyone. We have three beautiful ragdolls and I've had at least one cat almost continuously my whole life (other than in college).
However, I did join today in particular because I had a very weird thing happen this morning and I'm hoping to get some ideas of what it is or what I should do.

I woke up to one of my cats nuzzling me as she does each morning and I saw what looked like a two inch long narrow piece of poop attached to the fur on her side by her back right haunch. I took her to the bathroom and used a baby wipe to get about 2/3 off when I noticed what I actually had in the wipe was the first 2/3 of some weird, red, lizard-like worm (very worm shaped but with a lizard like head and hands--maybe a salamander but like none I've ever seen). It was squirming so I flushed it and got the other part off and got rid of it and cleaned my cat off. The cat seems fine and not fazed and I don't see any blood coming from her, but I have no idea what it was and what to do (seems unlikely it could have come from her? Just got stuck in her? If so, I've never seen it before and have no idea how it got in my house--the cats are indoor only).

Anyway, I made a vet appointment for this afternoon as a precaution, but am trying to see if anyone here has any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Cool Cat

That sounds to me like a red eft. Glad your cat did not try to eat it, as they are said to be unhealthy for eating - they have a secretion that can be bad. Beautiful little critters. Why it would be in your house I cannot imagine - I've always found them in damp places or under rocks or plenty of leaf litter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E...himney_Top.jpg
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Premier Cat

I just HAD to look it up!:p

http://www.sierrapotomac.org/W_Needh...wt_100705R.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_newt

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:31 AM
Premier Cat

Eeks. I'm afraid to look at any of the links. You're way braver than I am dexys. I'm quite certain I would have freaked out if I had seen some worm-ish, salamander-ish thing on my cat. And it was squishy enough that you could get part of it off? Eww. Glad your kitty is ok though!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Cool Cat

Oh dear, spirite, they are *beautiful* little tiny things! They look like jewels, their color glows. They do seem fragile, but they are very unafraid. They do not run away. Their color is a warning to other creatures: "Do Not Eat". Like Monarch butterflies, that orange/black color seems pretty straightforward danger signal. I have had them in my yard and they always stop me in my tracks, they are so beautiful.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 02:45 AM
Premier Cat

Hairs raised all over my body.

I'm one of those people who dislikes insects, reptiles - anything that can walk upside down or sideways. There is something unnatural about things that can walk on a ceiling.

So I'll take your word for it, eldercat!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:13 AM
Cool Cat

Ah, ok, I did not realize how bad it was for you. I myself dislike airplanes, helicopters, and dentist appointments - and we will please not discuss "things that go bump in the night"!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page