New to forum with sick cat, chronic kidney disease - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New to forum with sick cat, chronic kidney disease

Hey everyone my name's Mike and I'm a 27 year old engineer in North Carolina. I've had a female orange tabby since my senior year of college. I found her on Craigslist when she was a couple months old. I just found out she has chronic kidney disease at the age of about 5 years. It's been pretty tough lately as I live by myself with her and she's my first pet. If anyone has any personal experiences I'd love to hear them. I've been giving her subQ fluids at home and her BUN and creatine levels have come down, but she's just recently started to not eat and hide in my closest. I know she probably doesn't have much time left. If I posted in the wrong section of this forum I apologize.

Mike

Last edited by marie73; 09-04-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, no. I'm so sorry for that Mike. If you look through our older threads, you'll find some tips from laurief on how to deal with CKD for cats...though, for 5 years, that is too young imho! For a kidney cat though, I think you'll need to post all blood tests for laurief to see and determine if there's something else going on. And feeding your kitty any type of food she'll eat is really important.

I hope others can give you more advise, but in the meantime, I'd keep looking for CKD posts and look at Tanya's website if you haven't already. Hopefully, you'll still have some time left in your girl. Good vibes to you and your kitty, hang in there!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Cat Addict

Here is the best comprehensive website for caretakers of ckd cats:
http://www.felinecrf.org

It seems like a lot to read through, but when you have a cat with kidney disease, it makes it much more worth the read.

If you could post your most recent full lab results, with range values included, that will be helpful for the knowledgable members to get a background so they can help you.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge

Last edited by NebraskaCat; 09-23-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Cat Addict

Have you tried feeding her baby food if she's refusing her regular food? You can get the little jars of meat baby food at the grocery store (just make sure it's ONLY meat - no vegetables). I've had good luck with the Gerber turkey & gravy, and the Gerber ham & gravy. It might be worth a try to get some food into her.

I don't have much experience with CKD, but as NebraskaCat posted, Tanya's FelineCRF site is a great place to start and has a ton of info. Did your vet indicate what stage her kidney disease is?

What's your girl's name? She's a cute one! I love orange tabbies.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:23 PM
Cool Cat

Mike, I am so, so sorry to hear about your kitty's diagnosis. She is such a gorgeous girl, and I can see how happy she is in that photo!

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say how sorry I am. When anything happens to our pets it's horrible, but when they're young it's just that much worse since you assume you have so much longer with them. I wonder if she had some sort of hereditary or congenital issue with her kidneys.

I really hope she has much more time with you and it can be managed.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'd like to thank everyone for their support! I've been giving Kitty sub-q fluids at home and an appetite stimulant and she has gotten much better! I've bought her a water fountain to drink from which has increased her water intake dramatically. I've also switched her from Purina Pro Plan to Orijen cat food. On her last visit to the vet, she was in such good condition that the vet said that another blood test would just be a waste of money. He said continue what I'm doing and let him know if anything changes. As of now, she seems to be back to her old self. I understand she still has an illness and I will not take this time with her for granted!! Thanks everyone!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

While Orijen is one of the best kibbles made, it's a dry food and CRF cats should not be eating it. They need to be on canned food. She may be doing much better now, but in the long run the kibble will make things worse.

Some good canned foods:

Weruva (inc. Truluxe, Cats in the Kitchen and BFF). People will tell you to avoid fish because the bones content contributes high mineral levels that are bad for kidney cats. But Weruva fillets their fish so it's not an issue with their foods (avoid the ones that are whole chunks like sardines).

Instinct
Hound & Gatos
Wild Calling
Dave's
Earthborn
Spring Naturals
Wellness
Party Animal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Doodlebug, thank you for the input. When I first found out about her CRF, the vet did say to switch to wet food. However she continued to lose weight because she did not like wet food. She would barely eat any food at all and she started to get much worse. I made the decision to switch her to the highest quality dry food I could find and continue her sub-q fluids along with her increased water intake with the drinking fountain. Since I switched her back to dry food she has started to eat normally again. Eventually I will try wet food again but for now I'm just happy to see her gaining wait.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

OK...afterall the the best food for a cat is the food that it will eat.

Just keep trying that wet food because that's the best thing you can do for the long run. Now that she's feeling better and has a good appetite, she may be more open to trying wet.

Using toppers of anything she likes may help get her to eat wet...freeze dried meats crumbled over the canned food, ground up kibble, heck...even Cheetos if it gets her started (and I'm not joking...lots of cats love Cheetos).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you so much for the suggestions doodlebug. I will definitely try the topper idea! It's great to meet people on this forum that can help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page