Jack - mouth issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Jack - mouth issues

Hi! I have 5 year old (Jack) and we just adopted a yr old (Ashley). We adopted her 2 weeks ago. Jack now has been on Convenia and Depo medral to help with sores on his gumb and tongue. He also had a fever. The vet said his teeth are fine but my guy is only licking his food he cannot eat it. He wants to but shakes his head in Pain. He does have secondary injuries from us bringing him to the vet twice in one week. He ripped his nose and front of mouth on two different car carriers. I called the vet and asked if I should be more pt with Depo medral since he only received the shot this past Thursday. He said because of the injuries from the 10 min car ride (he doesn't want more injury) to give the medicine more time. I do see some improvement but the dr made it seem that he should be eating already. Any advice? And any advice on car carriers? I've put him in plastic with metal door as well as a mesh one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:03 AM
Premier Cat

Oh my goodness, poor little guy! Do you know what caused the sores in the first place? Even if his teeth are fine, I imagine that if he's got sores on his tongue, eating is going to be awfully uncomfortable. Have you tried adding some warm water to his wet food and making it super mushy, like a cat food smoothie? He does have to eat, so if he's not able to ingest any food, then it's urgent, and despite the potential for more trauma, I think you'd need to bring him back in.

Those injuries were because he was so desperately trying to get out of the carrier? Was it the mesh or the metal opening that caused more damage? Has he always reacted this way to being in a carrier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page