Bringing cats overseas - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Exclamation Bringing cats overseas

So my parents dropped a huge bombshell on me this evening. They want to sent me the United States to further pursue my education. I don't know how to process all this, but I've made one thing clear; I'm keeping Molly and I'm not leaving her behind. I haven't seen her months, since I'm still working things out with my University in another city and she's already 50% paid for. I just don't want to have to compromise my cat. Has anybody ever brought their cat with them overseas? I know the list of requirements from my end, but I was wondering what the requirements were on the other end, like the entry requirements of the United States.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Premier Cat

It really depends which state you're going to. Hope it's not Hawaii, they have to be put in quarantined for maybe 5 days if you've got everything in order. If not, your kitten will be quarantined for 4 months! I've lived there before, I know the horrors pet owners used to have about it, it was worse before, having a mandatory quarantine of 3-4 months, I think. However, it's to protect their delicate ecosystem and prevent spread of diseases found elsewhere, so not much you can do about that.

Cats | Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Importation | CDC

You should also look into which airline carrier you're traveling on, some airlines will not allow pets that do not meet their requirements either.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat

No, It's not Hawaii. They're sending me to San Francisco, since that's where my dad lived for decades. Is it going to be difficult bringing a cat into California?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:38 AM
Cat

It's not difficult. Your pet has to be up to date with shots (rabies has to be at least 30 days old) and you net a paper from the vet that can't be older than 10 days on the day of arrival in the US. you also have to pay for the ticket (make sure you book the ticket in advance for your pet) and you will also pay a fee when you pick your pet up. (That's how it was when we shipped out dog and cat from Germany to the US back in 2002)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Cat

Here is a link to the CDC.
Cats | Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Importation | CDC
I just read somewhere that you will need an Export permit from the Philippines. Also they want you to have a government health certificate.

Last edited by marie73; 09-28-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: removed link, no blogs allowed
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:55 AM
Cat

Health Department in California does not require a health certificate or rabies shot, but I rather be safe than sorry and get them both done.
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/vph...portation.aspx
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks so much, MsPepper. I'll definitely give these a read. I'm not set to leave until mid 2016, but I thought I'd go ahead and start processing all the papers required for me to bring Molly.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Cat

You're welcome. Rather be prepared ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page