Baby kittens SOS rescue or leave - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Baby kittens SOS rescue or leave

A woman I work with lives in a rural area and is feeding 5 ferals who live in her field. She just contacted me to say that when cutting her hedge her husband came across 3 baby kittens. She has taken them in. They look about 3 weeks old to me from the pics. She cannot cope with any more cats in the area and I had tried TNR earlier this year but was unsuccesful. The question is given she has the 3 kittens now should I bring them to local shelter to be tamed/fostered and eventually adopted or are they too young to take from Mama cat. There is a chance we wont catch them again if she puts them back outside.

Kitten gurus I need your advice......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

oops just got a message that they are eating watered down/mashed up wet cat food
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:12 AM
Tom Cat

There's also a chance that momma will reject them after they are returned. How long has she had the kittens? Generally it's best to leave kittens with the mom until they are ready to be weaned or a little earlier if the whole lot of them = momma included can be caught and brought in to see a vet. Then the kittens could stay with momma until after they are weaned. See if your shelter will take the whole kit n' caboodle or see if they have a fosterer willing to host a new mamma with kittens until home's are found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Cat Addict

Marmoset, I don't think she's got the momma - just the kits,

OP - I'd suggest keeping the kittens. There's a good chance you'd never see the kittens again and that mum would either abandon or move them. She's already caught them, so I'd try and see if a local rescue can take them to foster until they're old enough to be adopted.

It's not ideal, but when you're dealing with true ferals (won't allow any contact, will aggressively protect kittens, or move them) sometimes it's about the best you can do rather than the gold standard. On the bright side, the kittens have had plenty of momma's milk until now, so they'll have the immune system boost it gives.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Marmoset and Librarychick I currently have the 3 kittens safely snuggled in my bathroom. I do "kitten season" fostering for local shelter so collected the kittens and brought them to shelter. They are full at moment and these kitties are very young so I am now fostering them. Was the right decision to take them .All have cat flu and one has very bad eye infection so reckon they would not have made it. This is my first time bottle feeding but they have also taken some wet food but think more of it ends up on their fur rather than in their mouths. They are very sweet but a lot of work. Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Premier Cat

Update? How are the 3 kittens doing? Are they feeling better?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Cat Addict

Whatever the end result, I think you did the best you could,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page