Possible ear infection? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Possible ear infection?

Hi everyone. About a week ago, I discovered that Snowy's ears are really dirty...like they were full of ear waxes. I usually clean his ear with a cotton ball and warm water and that was the first time it had ever been so dirty. I went and bought a ear cleaner from a pet shop and I have trier to clean it everyday as much as I can. But after a week there still seem to be no improvement at all. Snowy is still behaving as normal...eats, drinks, pees and poop are all normal too. I smell the inside of the ear too and it does not smell bad or anything.

I have already made an appointment to see the vet on Thursday (the vet I like is only available on Monday, Thursday and Saturdays) but I just want a bit of a headsup to what I could be dealing with here. Is this some kind of ear injection or disease? Is this something that I shouldn't wait for or is it ok if I wait till Thursday to bring him to the vet. I have attached a picture of what his ear looks like. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Infection or ear mites (if he goes outside mites are a high possibility). Waiting till Thurs should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Snowy is an indoor cat (I do let him go out to the garden sometimes but only for a short while and under strict supervision). Do you know What might have cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Supervising him would not prevent him from catching mites, so it could still be that. If it's an infection, it could be any number of things from diet to cleaning with a cottonball and water (water may collect in the ear and cause an infection). Find out what it is...and if it's an infection, what type (bacterial or yeast) and we can try to figure out the cause.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh dear...I will be sure to ask the vet all the questions you've mentioned above on Thursday. But just out of curiousity, how often would you recommend we clean our cat's ear and how? My previous vet actually told me to clean it with a cotton ball and baby oil. But I find baby oil really greasy so I used warm water instead. I never realized water can be so bad for a cat's ear

Oh, and should I continue to clean his ear with the ear cleaner or just stop doing anything at all until his visit to the vet on Thursday?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

I never clean my cats ears.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Neither do I. My vet said the bratz have the cleanest ears she's ever seen (they take care of each other's ears). And I think they might clean Cleo's, too.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Jr. Cat

I have no experience with ear mites, only ear infection.

The photo looked a lot like when Mochi had an ear infection Smell Right Ear. I only noticed Mochi's infection because of the smell - because behaviorally she seemed just fine.

It took us 2 different antibiotics to clear it up (the first one was non-responsive). It scared the crap out of me when the vet said it could be a polyp inside her ear (cancerous or not) - but she was only 3 months old!!! Anyway, a sample of the waxy stuff was taken to the lab and the result came back indicating the bacteria was 'normal bacteria' that grows on any cat's ear. So it was inconclusive what caused the infection - could be moisture trapped, or allergy to something, or stress-related.

Good news is, after 2-3 weeks of treatment her ear was fully recovered. Ever since then, her ears looked really good, and I don't have to do anything to clean them.

I hope Snowy's ear will recover soon!! Keep us posted!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh dear...now I am feeling really bad. So this is most probably all my fault for thinking a cat's ears have to be cleaned everyday
Thank you everyone for replying. I will post again after I have brought Snowy to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully it is nothing serious
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Awwww, don't feel bad, this is how we all learn!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page