Smokey restored - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Smokey restored

Hey all,

I have disappeared from the forums for a little bit for various reasons, but am back to report that Smokey is back to his usual annoying self!

To anyone who hasn't seen my thread regarding his diabetes and kidney failure issues, I will only say that he was on his last legs. It is hard to believe he came back to himself. He gets 1mL of insulin a day.

Now that he is back to his normal body mass, he is always asking to eat and is meowing a lot more in the kitchen. Even after a meal he still seems incredibly hungry.

The food that the vet recommended (K/D) is not obtainable to just anyone and was wondering what you guys can recommend for my cat? I still have to do some research on dieting options, but was wondering if you guys have a few words here considering his conditions.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150914_080107.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	95001  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

One thing I forgot to mention that although he has IRIS Stage 3 CKD based on blood and urine results (Creatinine=265umol/L and SDMA=28ug/dL), it seems as if the only thing that is not checking out to the symptoms is his appetite. He will eat anything we give him, although we don't give him much of anything except the prescribed food.

What are your thoughts guys? I am not sure what to feed him at this point as he has diabetes and CKD, according to results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 PM
Cat Addict

Read the 'diabetes and CKD' section on this page, as well as much of the other information...
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diabetes

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Premier Cat

Suggest you go on the Feline Diabetes Message Board at Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

I have a newly-diagnosed cat with diabetes, and I posed the question about what food to feed. The vet put her on Purina DM=diabetic management, but it is expensive and I wondered if there was an alternative. The answer I got from the board was:
"Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classic or Little Friskies Classic Pate (except Mixed Grill). These foods are under 10% carbs and diabetic cats need low carb food (all cats really)." No grains (corn, wheat, oats, soy barley, rice) should be fed or potatoes/sweet potatoes or fruit like cranberries and blueberries which are in some foods. Also Carageenan is an additive to be avoided as it can make diabetes worse, and yet it was in the food the vet prescribed! I think it's in the FF and Friskies too. I'm happy to hear your boy has made a recovery. Unfortunately my girl is on her last legs, lost so much weight she is just skin and bones, and walks unsteadily since she was first diagnosed near the end of July. The last two days she has refused all food, and only drinks a little water. I was heartened to hear your boy has made a recovery. I was at a cat food store today, looking at all the food, and I did find a brand that I'm going to try that seems to fit the bill and has no Carageenan, and that's canned Wild Calling!. Don't know if this food is suitable for kidney problems tho. All the best.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 10-01-2015 at 07:47 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Suggest you go on the Feline Diabetes Message Board at Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

I have a newly-diagnosed cat with diabetes, and I posed the question about what food to feed. The vet put her on Purina DM=diabetic management, but it is expensive and I wondered if there was an alternative. The answer I got from the board was:
"Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classic or Little Friskies Classic Pate (except Mixed Grill). These foods are under 10% carbs and diabetic cats need low carb food (all cats really)." No grains (corn, wheat, oats, soy barley, rice) should be fed or potatoes/sweet potatoes or fruit like cranberries and blueberries which are in some foods. Also Carageenan is an additive to be avoided as it can make diabetes worse, and yet it was in the food the vet prescribed! I think it's in the FF and Friskies too. I'm happy to hear your boy has made a recovery. Unfortunately my girl is on her last legs, lost so much weight she is just skin and bones, and walks unsteadily since she was first diagnosed near the end of July. The last two days she has refused all food, and only drinks a little water. I was heartened to hear your boy has made a recovery. I was at a cat food store today, looking at all the food, and I did find a brand that I'm going to try that seems to fit the bill and has no Carageenan, and that's canned Wild Calling!. Don't know if this food is suitable for kidney problems tho. All the best.
Thank you for the reply and suggestion.

For Smokey it started with drinking too much water. He was slightly overweight and we started getting worried when he lost a lot of weight. We should have taken all these hints, including him not eating very well as signs to get him to a vet but thought he was just getting tired of his food. In any case, when we found him collapsed in his own saliva behind the couch we knew something was really wrong and took him to the vet the next morning.

During the night I stayed up with him to make sure he doesn't pass away by petting him/keeping contact (could see some response from him when he wagged his tail) as well as occasionally forcing him to drink and trying to wipe some tuna around his mouth so he can lick it up. He would not respond to his name or by trying to lift him, just looked really lifeless. He was still able to walk on his own but was extremely weak.

The vet first vet at the clinic did a routine to test and ask questions, and am surprised she didn't say anything about diabetes when I mentioned the excessive water consumption and lack of eating/weight loss. In any case, the more experienced vet took samples and diagnosed Smokey with diabetes and failing kidney, which seemed accurate according to the test results that came in.

After 2 nights in the hospital and a bill that was painful to pay for, Smokey looked disabled. He wasn't able to lift his head and would walk crooked, quite disturbing to look at. A few days later, he seemed to return to his normal self as if nothing ever happened. We were amazed to say the least.

I really hope your cat makes it through, we were giving hope after the hospitalization, but thankfully we held through and Smokey recovered.

Last edited by SmokeyGrey; 10-02-2015 at 07:50 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:28 AM
Premier Cat

Sadly, our dear sweet Alkee (white one in my avatar) died yesterday. I'm too heart broken to say any more.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page