Hartz - never again - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Exclamation Hartz - never again

I know that stuff has been written about the Hartz products on here, but it's really important to me that I share my story. I started using Hartz after I couldn't afford to buy Revolution (around springtime). I only need to use the flea meds when it gets warm and the cats start going outside. Anyway, the Hartz wasn't working that well and I was noticing these blistering wounds around where I would put the medication. I thought that it was a bad reaction to the flea saliva and so I put one of my cats - who had it much words - on steroids (from the vet of course). He got better, but then the wound came back a month later when I put the medication on again.

Every time I would put on the Hartz my cats would be miserable. They would twist their head around their bodies to try to lick it off. They hated me for it and then I realized that the wounds were caused by second degree burns and not a flea allergy!

I don't understand why pet stores would even sell that stuff, it makes me so mad!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know why these products are still for sale. Whenever I see someone checking them out in the cat aisle, I always speak up.

And I won't buy any other Hartz products (toys, etc.) on principle alone.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Cat

Honestly, at most pet stores I've worked at, we've sold them because it opens a dialogue to try and get people to not buy them. If a person walks in and says 'Do you have flea drops?' and you say no, then they walk out. If you say yes, then you can start talking to them and talk them into something that won't hurt their cats--we often sent people to their vets after talking them out of Hartz and Zodiac products. Unfortunately, having them on the shelf does mean that you will sell some, but someone else would sell them if we didn't and that someone else wouldn't tell people not to buy them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Kitten

I'm sorry about your kittie's discomfort.

There are a lot of things that shouldn't be sold in the pet isles. Like .25gallon Betta Cubes boasting to be a permanent home for the fish. Or citrus cat box freshener. (Cats are deterred by citrus, right?!)

Goes with kids, too. Pampers changed their formula and I bought the new box and my son got a horrible diaper burn from them. (a reaction to a DRY diaper) He wasn't the only baby to get it. I switched to Huggies and never went back.

What's sad is when we have to buy a product, we are putting ourselves in that company's hands. If they make one mistake somebody could die (at the extreme.)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Kitten

Is Revolution the best stuff? For an indoor cat?
We get it from the vet in 6mo chunks. It is pricy But so is his urinary prescription food
We also haven't had issues, so hadnt considered alternatives.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 03:08 AM
Premier Cat

I think Revolution is preferred because it protects not only against fleas, but against heartworm and ear mites, in addition to some other things. Plus, it has an extremely low rate of adverse reactions. My kitty is indoor-only too, and it's what I use if I need to give flea meds. It IS pricey though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page