Not sure what happened..... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Vee
Jr. Cat

Unhappy Not sure what happened.....

Brief version: got two new kittens on 9/20 - was told they were born on 8/9 which would make them 6 weeks - male and female (twins). Both eating, using litter box, playful, friendly, no issues other than Simon having looser stools. On 9/24 brought them in for vet check. Wt 1.2 lb Molly, 1.3 lb Simon. They were tested and both had worms (round and hook) and both had ear mites. They were given their 1st shots and sent home with meds for worms/mites. Worming was liquid .5 ml each x 3 days. 9/25 - both had diarrhea, decreased appetites, sleepy - normal reaction to shots/worming. 9/26 - Molly stopped eating but still drinking water, Simon still eating, both had diarrhea, Molly began to vomit. Gave call to vet, said to feed Molly KMR and watch until Monday AM. Simon had same energy, Molly did not. Gave them both liquid anti-diarrhea for kittens. 9/27 - Molly still not eating, getting KMR via syringe, drinking water on her own, decreased energy, watery diarrhea. Simon had better stool, still eating ok, energy ok. Monday brought Molly back to vet, weight 1.0 lb, got "kitty cold combo" shot which had anti-inflammatory, B12, and something to stimulate appetite. Began eating Monday afternoon but not much. Stopped eating Monday evening. Simon stopped eating Monday afternoon. Continued giving Molly syringe KMR, began giving Simon syringe KMR on Monday evening. Tuesday morning Simon meowing for food, put it down but refused to eat. Molly just sat there with head hanging over bowl but did not eat - just walked away. Gave them both syringe KMR. Tuesday afternoon neither of them eating, both of them diarrhea, Molly still drinking water, syringe KMR to both. Ended up bringing them back to the person I got them from since she doesn't work and I work full-time hoping that she can attend to Molly's feedings more often. Called her yesterday to check on kittens. Simon is eating, playing with siblings (6 kittens total as she didn't give any others away since I took the two) but Molly still not eating on her own. She became accusatory toward me saying, "I gave them to you all healthy and playful, and you give them back looking like they've been through the ringer." I'm feeling terrible about what is likely to happen to Molly but I had no way of knowing how she would react to the shots and/or worming. I wouldn't be surprised if she refuses to return them to me should Molly begin improving and eating on her own. Any thoughts or ideas on what may have happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Premier Cat

Why were these kittens weaned so early?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Vee
Jr. Cat

The woman told me they were weaned and eating on their own. When I first brought them home, they were eating without problems. And since Simon has now resumed eating according to the woman, she would appear to have been correct.

Last edited by Vee; 10-02-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

The woman is an irresponsible idiot.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Vee
Jr. Cat

Marie - I have to agree. She had four female cats in the house - not spayed, two of them with kittens - and three dogs. I feel badly about the whole situation, but I'm also afraid if Molly survives, that she will continue to have health problems her entire life. I have done a lot of research and it seems that Molly may have been exposed to some sort of virus from the other cats, and her body just wasn't able to adjust to the shots on top of that.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Tom Cat

That's sad. If they're not spayed and they have access to an intact male then this is just going to keep happening over and over again. I have friends that are finally (!) spaying their female after two litters, sick kittens, and tons of heartbreak. It's not worth it.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Vee
Jr. Cat

I know. I'm not one of those people. I currently have Morty (neutered male Siamese) and Nixon (neutered mutt dog), and the two cats I lost earlier this year (one in April and one in June) were both spayed females. Can't stand BYB and animal mills, but seem helpless to really make any impact on stopping them. So, I choose to focus on doing well by the animals I keep as pets.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
The woman is an irresponsible idiot.
This.

To split them up at 6 weeks (Unless something is wrong with momcat or she's out of the picture) is imo reprehensible. These cats need at *LEAST* 2 more weeks with her and preferably six more weeks to develop proper social behavior.

My suggestion be not walk but *RUN* from this moron and find your kittens @ a responsible proper shelter (or breeder if these were supposed to be purebreds).

They may be able to eat (barely) on their own @ 6 weeks but they still need her for supplemental feedings and for proper care at their age.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Vee
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the input. I was feeling guilty about it, but I'm starting to believe that she needs to also take some responsibility for it. I have decided not to take them back even if Molly improves. I have spent over $250 on vet bills/food, etc., in that short 9 days, so I guess I have to chalk it up to white trash BYB donations -- lol
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Premier Cat

Yeah, I rather support my local kitty shelter and adopt from there than get a kitty for free, online, or from a "neighbor" or someone I don't really know. My two then kittens were in foster homes with their siblings and had a bunch of vaccinations/dewormings and even spay/neuter done, so the rest was easy peasy to me. The adoption money was a deal compared to what I would've paid if I did it on my own, plus it was from an organization that offers low cost spay/neuter to our local community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page