Vitamin & Omega 3 + Food Question -Persian kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Vitamin & Omega 3 + Food Question -Persian kitten?

Hello,

I have 2.5 months Persian kitten and I wonder if I can start low doses of vitamin drops for health and Omega 3 & 6 for healthy hair ? - Can I give them safely OR my kitten is too small for these?

Also, any ideas of cod oil+soy oil for shiny hairs - There is 1 such product available here but never seen as such before.

I also planning to give Royal Canin Persian Kitten, but they are very hard and dissolving in water is not helping as well and my kitten endup swallowing them - So am worried what to do as this is the best product for their health. Because of this, I am giving him Whiskas kitten right now tht he can chew without a trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Vee
Jr. Cat

If you feed a good quality food, there is no need for additional vitamins and it may actually harm the kitten. He will have healthy and shiny hair from the food and good grooming on your part. I would read the ingredients on any food you give him, and avoid food with corn/wheat/soy ingredients. Canned is better than dry for longevity and better health overall.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Vee
Jr. Cat

This is what I found online for ingredients of Royal Canin Persian Kitten food, and it has rice, corn and wheat within the first 5 ingredients. I would consider a different food if possible.

Ingredients:
Chicken by Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat, Corn, Wheat Gluten, Natural Flavors, Pea Fiber, Grain Distillers Dried Yeast, Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Oil, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Vegetable Oil, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Psyllium Seed Husk, L-Lysine, Fructooligosaccharides, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Choline Chloride, Vitamins [DL-Alpha Tocopherol acetate (source of Vitamin E), Inositol, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement], DL-Methionine, Magnesium Oxide, Marigold Extract (Tagetes Erecta L.), Trace Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Copper Proteinate] , L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Vee
Jr. Cat

Whiskas for Kittens ingredients - corn, soybean, rice and wheat in the first 6 ingredients, and by-product meal is not a good source of protein for kittens.

POULTRY BY-PRODUCT MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, SOYBEAN MEAL, BREWERS RICE, GROUND YELLOW CORN, GROUND WHEAT, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA AND CITRIC ACID), NATURAL CHICKEN AND TURKEY FLAVOR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, FISH OIL (STABILIZED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS), TAURINE, DL-METHIONINE, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], BIOTIN, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID), MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Premier Cat

NO to RC for me. No reason a Persian kitten needs Persian cat food. Humans all over the world have the same nutrition requirements as everyone else, regardless of race or class.

NO to cod liver oil. Too much vitamin A can cause overtoxicity, moreso because vitamin A is fat soluble and not water soluble like vitamin Bs or Cs. No need for vitamins if the canned food is nutritionally complete; it will indicate so on the label.

NO to Omega 6s. Please, we've way too much of that in everyday food, including food for pets. Look for high quality Omega 3s, though...fish/krill oil is good, but you'll probably have to look at EPA & DHA content, it's potency, quality, sourcing, GMP seal, etc, etc. Do buy those oils that are soy-free.

+1 for grain-free, high quality canned food. If you must serve kibbles, give very small, portioned meals so you actually know how much is eaten, no free-feeding. Kittens need to eat several times a day, a lot of people reserve the kibbles only at night so they can sleep without feeding the cat.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
If you feed a good quality food, there is no need for additional vitamins and it may actually harm the kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbCatt View Post
NO to RC for me.
Sorry for delayed reply as I was stuck with vaccination and hunting other info. first., Anyways to the best tht is available in my country I started Feeding Royal Canin persian kitten powdered by me mixed with rice and kibbles sumtimes. I can't afford wet food daily so tht is out of question.

For vitamins and stuff, I already bought and feeding him this:
Furglow by Himalaya Herbal Healthcare

Apart frm tht, these are the alternate products available here and seems good:
Salmon Oil (complementary food) - Muscles & bones - Dog - Products - Beaphar

Virbac India | VITABEST Liquid=&

Leme know all of your opinions abt which of the above 3 product seems best and any additional info. as to what shall I give and what not...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Vee
Jr. Cat

Do the best you can do. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page