Hello everyone! I'm writing about my sister's cat. On Oct 1st this past Thursday my sister called me and said that she was rushing her kitty to the vet because he came into the house howling really loud (never does this) and vomited foam on the floor twice then laid down with quick shallow breathing. She took out his carrier and he immediately went inside it (also never happens).
The vets office looked him over and said that they need to take him to the Pet ER in a few towns over so they did. While he was at the ER they did some blood work to test and see if he had ingested any ingredients in antifreeze, they did a regular CBC, a urine test and x-rays. All tests came back normal. The vet said that they could keep him there for observation or they can observe him at home. They didn't want to stress the kitty out more so they've been observing him at home since and they and the vet have kept in touch with any updates.
There are so many things that could be causing his symptoms so I'd like to get a list of tests together for my sister to suggest to the vet since two vets don't have any idea what's wrong and didn't offer anything else other than to observe him which would mean IV fluids and anti nausea meds as needed.
Here's a list of his symptoms:
- Dry warm nose
- Dilated Pupils (this is constant and in both eyes, a flashlight doesn't make them smaller)
- Head is low when walking to littler box, tail is low and close to body
- Very weak
- Shallow Breathing (this used to be rapid as well but it's slowed a bit today)
- He had one bowel movement but it was only one small nug the size of a peanut (light brown in color, not pale)
- Large amount of urine when he finally does use the litter box
-Hissed when my sister tried to put him in the carrier to take him to the vet again the following day (the vet said that he can stay home and that means he's getting better)
Today he started to sit up some and did some minor grooming. He's eaten some wet food mixed with nursery water without being force fed. He's still very weak and rarely moves. He peed outside of the litter box and each time he pees it's a lot. I suggested removing the lid on their litter box to see if that will help with that portion at least. She does have a needless syringe to force feed him with if they feel he isn't taking enough water in.
The vet should have injected fluid under his skin so he could absorb it while at home (I've had this done for one of my cats in the past) but they only gave him anti nausea meds. They did not address the dilated pupils which we feel is the most concerning. He has not vomited since that first day but any improvement he's had is minimal if things like sitting up are an improvement at all.
I know your first suggestion would be to have him be seen by a third vet but the reality is that it's extremely expensive and they don't really have anymore money especially since they're caring for a newborn baby. What I really need are suggestions for tests a vet could do to figure out if it were poison or his kidneys or if there's head trauma etc.
Some back story of this cat. He loves to hunt. The day this happened he caught two birds, little sparrows, and ate their heads. This is typical behavior for him (he wants to gain their knowledge I guess). One of the dead birds was found in front of a lily plant (my sister just told me, it's an orange Asiatic lilly) so it's possible that he may have consumed some pollen or part of the plant when consuming the bird's head. She's calling the vet right now to see if there's a test they can run on him but from what I've briefly read it doesn't say that dilated pupils are a symptom.
This kitty also has Colitis and mainly eats a wet food (and apparently sparrow) diet. It's concerning to me that he hasn't had a real bowel movement but I'm not sure if a partial obstruction would cause his symptoms. Again he hasn't vomited since so it may not be that at all.
I'll keep you guys posted with any news but if you have any suggestions on what could have caused this so he can get vet care that actually helps him that would be awesome. Thank you!