Kitty with Fatty Liver Disease - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Kitty with Fatty Liver Disease

My cat has fatty liver disease. He was throwing spit up over night on last Sunday night into Monday morning and he was meowing when he saw me so I brought him in. He presented with low temps and jaundice. They gave him fluids and anti naseau meds but it did not work so we got bloodwork which confirmed fatty liver disease. He was using his litter box less before that but I did not think anything of it at first because his behavior was normal and he used the toilet or bathtub in the past. I just switched litter so I thought he was protesting the litter.

They gave him more fluids on Wednesday and syringed fed him at the vet office. That worked really well so they had me continue at home. It was going good at first. He was keeping it down and peeing at least. Now he started retching again and has even thrown up part of a meal. He still has not pooped. I will be going back to the vet tomorrow but I was wondering if any one else went through this and if it is normal to have ups and downs. We spent so much already and cannot afford expensive treatment. I live in an area with high medical costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Cat Addict

Fatty liver disease needs to be addressed quickly before it becomes permanently damaging. I would find out if your vet would consider putting in a feeding tube (and you can also ask the cost of that procedure). That would be a sure way to get him to eat.

In the meantime, there are some things that can be done at a relatively low cost that you can ask your vet about:
- Something for the constipation
- Trying different foods, even baby foods, just to be able to get him to eat and keep it down
- Syringe feeding at home

Also, on the financial side, look into care credit and ask if your vet allows payment plans.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I am syringe feeding him prescription food. I was wondering if they could give him something like a kitty laxative to see if he could poop. I am taking him in today so we shall see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page