Black spot above Beau's nose - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Black spot above Beau's nose

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what this could be?

My special needs Persian Beau has suddenly (over the last 2 weeks) developed a black spot/mole above his nose. At first I thought one of the other cats had scratched it and it was scabbing over but I looked at a photo I took of him a month ago. I enlarged it and noticed the tiniest pin point of a black spot in the same place. So it's grown quite rapidly. It looks like a black/brown mole. It is not itchy nor does it weep or have red borders. It is slightly raised.

My vet isn't back until Wednesday (today is Monday in Oz). I've researched skin cancer in cats until I'm cross-eyed but I'm still no wiser.

Has anyone seen this kind of 'spot' before?

Thank you.

PS Beau was bred as an extreme flat face Persian and was going to PTS as a kitten. He is deaf, has runny weeping eyes, respiratory problems, has panic attacks, doesn't like to be manhandled or picked up and is very small for his age and breed. But he is a sweetie pie, has lovely manners and loves curling up in our laps as long as we don't 'smother' him with pats and hugs.

It's the best I could get, he hates the flash and the camera!

Last edited by ThreeOfThem; 10-05-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Cat Addict

Difficult to see but if it's growing, I'd go to the vet. I have a cat with FIV that gets a scabby nose at time but it bears no resemblance to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you. We have an appointment this Wednesday.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Just a quick update for those that may be researching the same issue ...

My vet says it most probably is a fungal infection. Beau is on drops twice a day for a month and has a follow up appointment in 10 days to see how the 'spot' is progressing. Skin cancer was mentioned as a possibility but because of the position of the spot, the fact that his ears show no sun damage, that he is an indoor cat and has been his whole life .. makes testing for cancer a little premature at this stage.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Premier Cat

I'm glad to hear it's something with a relatively easy solution! It does seem like it would be an odd spot to develop skin cancer. He's a cutie!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:50 AM
Cat Addict

Keeping our finger crossed that the drops work and it clears quickly for your cutie
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:01 AM
Cat Addict

If you hadn't found this cat and saved him, just think....
It's so sad that his issues were caused by extreme breeding.
The fact that you love him and take care of him so well says a lot about you as a person. Welcome to the forum.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Cat Addict

Really hope it all works out.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you.

Well ... things are not going as smoothly as I'd hoped. Beau gets very distressed at being 'manhandled' and trying to apply this PMP ceam to a tiny spot above his nose is turning into a very upsetting situation. The PMP must have a smell to it. He'll sniff and head boof a plain cotton bud but as soon as I come near him with one dipped in the PMP he'll panic. So I had to resort to holding him down which just results in the cream getting everywhere but that tiny spot and then he snorts and snuffles for a few minutes then hides under the table looking very depressed.

A few days ago I woke up and proceeded to give Beau his breakfast but he just snorted his bowl and turned away. Very strange! So I warmed up some chicken (his fav) but same thing happened. It was as if he couldn't smell the food so he didn't recognize it as food. So into the bathroom with the hot water running to fill the room with steam which he seemed to enjoy (he is very visual and liked the misty fog) and I burned eucalyptus oil in the oil burner. 20 mins later he suddenly ran to his bowl and ate his breakfast but he continued to snuffle and snort all day.

I stopped using the PMP that day thinking it could have been a reaction (stuffy nose?). The next day he was much happier and brighter than he had been for days so I didn't use the **** PMP that day either. He also stopped snorting. The third day I attempted to apply it again and Beau gagged, coughed and snorted dramatically for a few minutes. I suspect he may have got some in his mouth.

I am so over this. I am tempted to just stop using this PMP and hope the fungal thing will just go away on it's own.

Am I being delusional? Is there a home treatment I could use? (Clutching at straws here lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page