Cat sleeping a lot lately - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Lin
Kitten

Unhappy Cat sleeping a lot lately

Hi everyone, like many I joined this forum because I am becoming a bit concerned about my kitty.

A week or so ago my 1 year old cat Cheza has been sleeping more than usual. Mostly in my lap, or in my bed when I go to sleep - which she NEVER does, not since she was a baby. She usually sleeps in the window, but she hasn't been getting into the window at all, not even to look outside like she usually does.

Aside from sleeping a lot, her behavior is pretty normal. When I try to stimulate her with toys, she shows interest and bats around at it or becomes instantly alert when I bring out her favorite toy... but she is not as hyper as usual when she plays. Her appetite has always been small, so I can't tell if her not eating a lot is normal. I feed her a mix of can/dry food making sure the first few ingredients are chicken etc. She regularly grooms herself and I clean her litter every 1-2 days.

Something I think it could be:
About a week ago I gave her flea drops because her fleas have become a bit out of control again. They didn't work at all (I use Frontline, which has always worked in the past), so I have resorted to the flea comb every day until I can try to put drops on again. I saw a lot of fleas and flea dirt, which makes me feel horrible. I've been doing my best to keep them off of her, but my dog regularly goes outside and brings them back in the house.

She is an inside cat, so there's nothing she could catch from outside. I took her to have her shots and spayed in April, which did mellow her out quite a lot. Could the fleas cause such lethargy and make her sleep so much? Could she be bored? My house is small which doesn't provide much stimulation, though I do my best with various toys to try and entertain her.

Since it's not an emergency yet, I thought I'd get everyones' opinion here before I resort to spending my limited funds on a vet... which I WILL do if I have to. Please help! I want my normal happy baby back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Vee
Jr. Cat

Hmmm....well, I'm NOT a vet, but I love cats and have had them for years, so I will offer some ideas to consider. She is at least sleeping either on you or near you -- I would be much more concerned if she were sleeping away from you or hiding. Litter box contents the same? Any issues like more/less, harder/softer? She is one year old now, officially no longer a kitten, so perhaps she is maturing and is just not nearly as playful or hyper as she had been. Any changes at all in her food? Fleas are nasty buggers, but I'm guessing she is of normal weight/size, so having a bunch of fleas at her age is not likely to cause anemia unless she has been infested for a long time. I was using Frontline as well on a cat several years ago that worked just great until it just stopped working. Perhaps they changed the formula or the fleas became immune to it. I now use Advantage II with good results.

Things I would be concerned about are litter box contents, obvious pain when you pick her up or move her, or hiding. Cats are also living creatures - not robots or toys - so they may not always feel their best, but nothing to be concerned about. However, if in a day or so you still see the behavior changes, like not looking out the window or sitting in the window, don't hesitate to take her to the vet for a check up. It doesn't sound like an emergency to me though. Maybe others will weigh in as well.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Lin
Kitten

Thanks for the reply. Her litter contents are the same as always, and she's as pudgy as she's always been. She meows greetings at me when I come up to her like usual. I can pick her up fine with no obvious pain or stiffness. She was just chasing a moth earlier, but now she's sleeping again. I'm not sure what to make of it. I guess I'll just wait it out and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Kitten

Just a suggestion ... one of my cats gets very depressed for a week after I use a 'drops type' flea treatment (Advantage and Advocate). He still eats and poops okay but he just lays around being depressed, doesn't play or get up to his usual mischief. But after a week he perks up and he is his normal self.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 10:22 PM
Cool Cat

Has the weather changed recently? Cooler, warmer, rainier, etc? I notice when there's drastic weather changes, my girls get sleepier and less active for a few days to a week or so.

It could be that she's sensitive to the flea medicine. Cats, like humans, all react to medicine differently. Some can certainly make them lethargic for awhile as they adjust to it, especially flea medicine which lasts a long time in their system.

Other than that, it could possibly just be the age she is at! I know when my girls hit 1, they both became noticeably calmer and changed their usual patterns. My Ellie adopted new sleeping spots, different activites, etc. which concerned me at first, but everyone on Cat Forum assured me that it's normal (as long as there aren't any evident problems, like litter box problems, not eating, etc)

I hope your kitty perks up soon so you don't have to worry as much! <3
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Lin
Kitten

The weather has been getting colder. I live in Florida so it's not too drastic. Getting down into the 60s during the night in the last few days. Could such a thing cause her to sleep so much? Interesting. Her fur is so thick I would have never guessed, lol. The flea drops could have made her feel yucky too... she has not eaten much today, a couple of bites.

SIGH. I hate this feeling so much. I know you all understand though :p I'll keep you all updated!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Cool Cat

Question: are you free feeding? I found that when I did that, I couldn't really tell what was going on with the food - because they'd not like the "old" food. I discarded a bunch (or gave it to the dog who would eagerly eat anything cat related!). There is no doubt in my mind that hunger is the best seasoning, and if they never get hungry we run the risk of thinking they're not eating right. If she's sleeping a lot she's not using up her food as quickly. The temps dropping and the light changing to autumn make *me* want to sleep more. Just something to consider...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Lin
Kitten

This morning I gave her half a can of wet as a test, she nibbled on it all morning and when I woke to check it was gone. I guess you could call what I do as free feeding? I leave the food down because she never likes to eat all of her food at once - just the way she has always been. I never let it sit out for more than half a day though because I'm afraid of it going bad. I'm going to try feeding her just wet for a while with no dry and see if maybe the dry food is doing something to her tummy.

Right now she's laying next to me getting her daily groom nibbles from my dog, lol.

The weather very well may be messing with her because I know it's messing with me too.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Lin
Kitten

Just an update.

I played with her for a while today, got her to chase a string of paper and played "mouse under the blankets" with the sock on my hand. She got really into that. I brushed her fur, combed it for fleas but only found two. I opened my curtain and she sat in the window for a bit and watched the leaves fall outside. Now she's laying in my lap with her paws tucked under her

Whatever it is, I think she may be coming out of it. I hope. Food intake is about the same though. I'm not sure what to do about that.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 01:55 AM
Cool Cat

Lin, I'm so glad to hear she's coming around! Yes, things like weather changes can definitely affect them! I also thought it was odd, especially since my cats are indoor-only. But I've noticed it definitely happens. We're currently getting into much cooler Fall weather and as usual with big weather changes, I've noticed my girls sleeping more and eating a little less.

I wouldn't worry too much about your kitties food intake unless it is incredibly small or if it persists for an extended time. Hopefully she's back to eating normally in a few days! I completely understand about the worrying... especially when I got my first cat on my own two years ago, I was at the forum asking questions every time she did something different! Haha they sure can worry us sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page