Ultrasound necessary? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ultrasound necessary?

Hi!
My cat was diagnosed with early renal disease last week through a bloodtest and urinalysis. My vet also suggests an ultrasound, but I am very hesitant to doing this, as he states it is a procedure which takes 90 min total in their practice (Around 60 min actually doing it, the rest prep). Sounds like a long time, and I really hate to put my dear cat through more stress at the moment after several pet visits. They mentioned they probably need to sedate him to perform this ultrasound which I am also not happy about. He was just sedated two weeks ago for a dental cleaning.

My question is in your opinion - should I go ahead with the ultrasound? IF they need to sedate him, is this hard on his body?

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

When a vet suggests a test I always want to know what they are looking for and what would the treatment be. If there's a benefit then, yes, I'd do it.

For example...16.5 year old Maggie stopped eating, very lethargic etc. Ran blood work and urinalysis, nothing conclusive. Did an ultrasound...nothing abnormal. At that point the vet said that they ruled out everything but cancer, but couldn't find it. She said an MRI would probably locate it. I knew I wasn't going to put Maggie through any chemo treatments. So finding the exact location of the cancer was not beneficial and I chose not to do the MRI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Cool Cat

We did an ultrasound on my cat. We knew there was a tumor but needed to see where it actually was located and how big it really was - what it was likely to "do". It was helpful to learn that there was nothing we could do about it, it was helpful to know what to look for as "the end of the road". So when that time came I was able to move quickly and end the troubles before they escalated.

Ask the vet exactly what they are looking for and what a finding would mean for care, for treatment, for the future. Then you can make an educated decision whether to ultrasound or not. It's not cheap either, so do check the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with doodlebug and eldercat. Since the bloodwork and urinalysis showed renal disease, why does the vet want to do an ultrasound?

I think sedating kitties is always a bit risky. How old is your kitty?

I am sorry about the diagnosis. I hope they caught it early and that it can be managed for a very long time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 03:54 AM
Senior Cat

My vet wanted to do an ultrasound on my renal kitty to see if she had any of the very commonly-associated issues/conditions that go along with CRF/CKD in elderly cats.

The ultrasound payed off for me, as it turned out my girl had IBS and had to be put on prednisolone. This has helped her a lot.

I'd feel safe doing the ultrasound on your boy as LONG as you find out from your vet why they want it. It may be to just check his organs in general, to check for IBS, to see if he has any tumors/etc., or for other reasons.

Also, check your kitty's blood pressure and thyroid (T4) levels, as high blood pressure and hyperthyroidism are common conditions that often come along with CRF/CKD. I'm not trying to scare you, but it's worth catching some of these things early :}

As an aside, for renal disease in general, a site that will come in very handy is Tanya's feline renal disease site:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

This site has saved my butt and my kitty's several times.
There's also a Yahoo! group that is wonderful. There are a lot of members and if you have ANY questions, they won't hesitate to help you.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...F-Support/info

Sedation CAN be hard on an older kitty, especially one with renal disease. However, if the vet is aware of it, it's a lot safer. My girl is 17 years old now, and has been sedated many times with zero issues.

BTW, renal disease is NOT a death sentence. Sometimes a vet can scare the crap out of you when they tell you that your cat has lost 75% of their kidney function. But with management, medications, and love, CRF cats can live a LONG time. My girl was 14 when she was diagnosed, and her kidney values have actually gotten better over the last 3 years and she's still going strong!

Feel free to join the Yahoo group, they are wonderfully supportive and are happy to share their experiences and knowledge and have reassured me many times on kidney issues with my girl :}

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page