Red Bump on Lower Lip - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Red Bump on Lower Lip

Hey look! It's Lakota and Wintressia back with more health issues XD Hurray!

Quick health background: Win is 17 years old, diagnosed early Stage 2 CRF/CKD three years ago (it's very well-managed; she does not need subQs yet). Also has IBS and "had" hypertension (vet says it's cured, I'm a bit skeptical). She was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroid about two months ago and is on 2.5mg Felimazole daily.

About a week ago, I noticed a red bump on my cat's lower lip/chin area. It's very small, about 1/16th of an inch across. It doesn't seem to itch or bother her.

She eats from stainless steel bowls and her water bowls are all ceramic. However, I bought a CatIt fountain a few weeks ago, and it's plastic. I was happy that she was drinking from it, but now I'm wondering if it's given her cat acne/plastic allergy. Either way, the fountain has now been exiled.

I've been putting Zymox on the spot daily for the past few days, but it hasn't seemed to improve.

My cat loathes the camera so it's hard to get good photos of the spot, and a few times I had to scruff her, but I've attached the best photos I got.

Her usual vet is about 20 miles away, so I can't easily jaunt over there for things that are minor, but I'm worried about this spot since she's JUST recently started the Felimazole and I'm worried this might be some kind of weird side effect.

Does this look familiar to anyone? Should I be worried?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot1.jpg
Views:	1480
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	95297  

Name:	spot2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	95305  

Name:	spot3.jpg
Views:	2139
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	95313  

Name:	spot4.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	95321  

Name:	spot5.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	95329  

Name:	spot6.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	95337  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Premier Cat

I'm not a vet but this Felimazole sounds like a wicked drug. Felimazole - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses

What it looks like to me is some sort of lesion, and if you read the adverse effects, that is one of the things that can happen with this drug. Did the lesion appear before or after your cat was on Felimazole? I would contact the vet who prescribed this. A second opinion from another vet may be useful.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 10-08-2015 at 09:28 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Cat Addict

It looks to me like it's possibly feline acne. Fell his whole chin gently, I use my fingernail, to see if there's any other bumps. IME feline acne can start to look red and irritated, or like an open sore, if they scratch it too much.

I wouldn't bet on it being the fountain, as long as you clean it regularly (once or twice a month) it shouldn't be doing too bad on bacteria. Assuming it has a filter.

A bigger cause would be not cleaning the bowls every day - it's great if their stainless, but they have to be cleaned every day for that to matter. Ditto for ceramic.

You could try wiping her chin twice a day with Listerine on a cotton pad. That works the best (next to the medicated stuff from the vet) on my guys when they get it. As long as you stay on top of it acne isn't too big of an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Oh, trust me, I am NOT happy with the Felimazole - I looked at its side effects when the vet first prescribed it and I just about had a fit. Plus Win is a known kidney disease cat and the Felimazole absolutely made her kidney values worse. I know treating the hyperT is more important, but it still bothers me.

What I WANT is the radioactive-iodine treatment (I-131) which is an instant cure for hyperthyroidism, but my vet seemed pretty upset that I even suggested I-131 and was completely against it. Granted, Win is 17 and does have renal disease, but from what I've read, a competent vet who has done I-131 before knows how to handle the treatment in elderly cats with renal disease. Felimazole is NOT a cure for hyperT and Win would have to be on it for the rest of her life, probably on increasing dosages as the thyroid tumor got bigger. If my vet is still completely against I-131 after this, I might have to find a new vet.

As an aside, since Win has been on the Felimazole, she's become lethargic, listless, and has no appetite. So she's definitely already having some side effects I'm not happy with, and if this is a skin lesion, I'm done with the Felimazole.

Librarychick, I don't feel any other bumps on her chin, which is why I started to worry this wasn't feline acne. I've been putting Zymox on the spot too and cleaning it twice a day, and it hasn't done anything. :{

I do clean her bowls after every meal (she eats 3 times a day in small portions). I have 3 bowls that I rotate. I also change her water and clean the ceramic waterbowls daily and sometimes twice a day if I notice she's gotten a lot of fur into the bowls ;}

I HAVE had these stainless steel bowls for a few years now, though, so I'm going to be replacing them with new versions of the same type, just in case.

I have a vet appointment for tomorrow morning (with a close-by vet; I can't get a ride to her normal vet) so we'll see how that goes. I asked a JustAnswer vet and showed them the pictures and they scared me by saying it was possibly some kind of skin cancer and I should get it checked/removed early, so off to the vet we go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page