13 week old kitten eating enough? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat

13 week old kitten eating enough?

I adopted a 13 week old kitten a week and a half ago. It's been a while since I've had a kitten but I feel like she doesn't eat a lot. My last cat was such a little piggie!

She gets fed wet Nature's Variety Instinct twice a day. She barely finishes a 1/4 of a 3 oz can. She also gets a cup of Acana dry food. And it will take her a day to a day and a half to finish it. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:49 PM
Premier Cat

I would prefer you give her more canned and less dry to add moisture to her system. A mainly dry diet can have issues down the road. The canned portion sounds really low to me but if her body weight is good then who are we to argue?

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

She won't eat anymore wet! I was giving her half a can and she won't eat it. Should I stop the dry food? It's hard because I can only feed wet twice a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Premier Cat

Try that and see if she won't eat more wet but it's not the end of the world if she doesn't. How does her weight look? What is her weight now, do you know? She would weigh just at 3+ pounds or so at 13 weeks. A food scale is handy for kitten weights.

Don't fret - some kittens just march to a different drummer. If she is playful, has a decent body weight then all is fine I'm sure.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Premier Cat

Do you give her pate, or the slices kind? My Robin's very finicky, he won't touch pate. He prefers beef to chicken, but he'll eat any wet food-as long as it's slices. What's your kitten's name?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

She was 3.1 lbs last Wednesday. And just weighed her and she was a little over 3.5.
She's very playful and very active!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

A cup of dry food??? Holy crap, that's a TON of dry food. Definitely stop the dry, or at least most of it.

When the bratz were that age, they didn't get food left out for them. They get fed 3 times a day, breakfast, when I get home, and when I got to bed.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:59 PM
Senior Cat

Agree with Marie that a cup of dry is a lot for a kitten that young, but if she's finishing it within a day and half she seems to have a healthy appetite! Might help if you give her more frequent small meals, as her little tummy might not be able to contain that much at a time.

Have you asked the vet if her growth is okay?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Oops! My mistake. I made a typo! She's getting half a cup of dry food. Not a cup! Sorry!

Her name is Cinna!

She went to the vet last Wednesday and they said she looked really good.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Premier Cat

At that age, I gave the Pudds a teaspoon of wet or raw food 4 times a day and a small handful of dry (about 1/4c) for overnight.

If your kitty is still hungry after eating what she is given, then give her more.

Dry food is like Kitty Crack.,,,the kitten/cat will prefer it and ignore other food in favour of it. Think of it as giving your child a choice between potato chips, fast food, and a good home cooked meal. They will choose the junk every time...but need to eat the good stuff. Same with your kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page