subQ fluids - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

subQ fluids

yikes! I did it... and she did it... but wow was i SO nervous...

my first attempt did work, but she got out of her "burrito" and walked the needle out of herself. So, once we got her rewrapped, and i got a new needle out (didnt want to risk infection with reusing the same one), the second time she was more still. she still did meow a bit at the fluids going in, but not as bad as at the vets when it was colder. and today, one of the syringes was alittle bit colder, we didnt think by too much, but noticable i suppose.

but, all things considered, i think we did well. she forgave us much faster than we were okay with it... i think it bothered us more than her. she didnt like it, but i think we were much more freaked than she was.

today was a bit of finding that shaved spot again, making sure i hadnt forgotten any details... hopefully we can get faster at it. and hopefully ill become more okay with it, which may maybe make her more okay with it... but she didnt like getting cream on her belly either so... its hard to totally say.

but... we did it!!

Last edited by marie73; 11-14-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:18 AM
Cat Addict

Well done. With any kind of medicating and other cat care, its a lot about your confidence. The more confident and therefore in charge you are the easier it seems to be with them.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Im just hoping what the vet tech said was true, and she will get used to the sensation of them going in...

the needle was the same, she didnt seem to mind that too much... especially the first one... but the feeling of it entering... she seems uncool about, at least for now.

i wasnt nervous about putting them in... just getting that needle in there, and then making sure it stays in well enough... shes so furry too, i didnt feel comfortable improvising and just not using the shaved spot, so finding and refinding that spot took some time... next time (tomorrow, eek!) im gonna try getting the "tent" part ready before the wrap, then maybe her skin may have a bit more slack than it had yesterday, i hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:45 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Claiken,
Well done! It will get easier, as you go along, and get familiar with it all!
I know LaurieF talks about 'warming' the liquid, at least to room temperature, so it's not cold...
Keep us posted!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cats2dogs View Post
I know LaurieF talks about 'warming' the liquid, at least to room temperature, so it's not cold...
Yes, exactly what I was going to say. Put the fluid bag in a bowl of hot water (tap hot water, not boiling). Test on your wrist before inserting the needle to ensure it's not too hot, you want it to be body temp. It may take a bit of experimenting to figure out how long to soak it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Premier Cat

Warming up fluids could also be done with a heating pad if you prefer to heat it slowly and at a more controlled rate.

I'm sure you're already familiar with Tanya's site, but there are several tips on making it easier on the link below if you haven't had a chance to look it over yet.

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Tips on Giving Subcutaneous Fluids
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Failed attempt today

I think i accidently went all the way through, as the fluids were just falling off of her, instead of going into her. tried again, but it still came out that same exit hole. So we decided she had had enough poking for one day, going to try again tomorrow....

just when i was starting to feel more confident too...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:58 PM
Premier Cat

Ah....Claiken,
You're going to have some hits, and misses....as you find the 'Zone', you'll get better at it!
Hang in There!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I just felt really bad that she got poked but nothing was accomplished today... Still rewarded her add if it worked but still, feeling bad about my abilities today. Gonna be extra nervous tomorrow again now...
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I did it: D

I was extra nervous after what happened yesterday, but we did it. We had them even a bit warmer too, sheseemed better about them going in today.

Rewarded with favorite treats after... Only 1 needle this time too yay! Feel better with myself about it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page