Matted fur- how do I fix it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
oms
Jr. Cat

Matted fur- how do I fix it?

Hello,
My 3 year old cat has a medium length coat. We do randomly brush her about once a week- which she loves. But apparently we have missed a spot.
I was petting her and found a matted (maybe an inch oval) area right behind her right front 'elbow.'
What can I do about this area? Does she need shaved or is there a way to un-mat it?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

If it's not too close to the skin, you can put a comb between her skin and the matt and clip it on the matt side.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:44 AM
Cool Cat

Also, if she is willing, you can work with it - starting at the "away from the skin" end. That's a normal place to get a mat, so be aware in future. Also under the ears I've found mats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
oms
Jr. Cat

Good to know that it is a normal spot. I will definitely keep an eye on the area.
I think I am going to try to work at it from the 'away from skin' end. She's a pretty easy going cat.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:37 PM
Cat Addict

My domestic medium hair will get a mat from time to time. I have a tiny pair of surgical scissors that I can cut a mat out with. Once you get the bulk of it the part next to the skin can be combed or worked out with your fingers.
I do this while my cat's head is buried in a can of wet food and she is oblivious to my 'operation.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page