Exausting all wet food options... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Exausting all wet food options...

I too have been on the search for good grain free food with no gum and carrageen and with a decent protein and low carbs that my two will eat. I wanted to have a rotation of different brands, and proteins. I think I have tried almost every make on the market in the last 4 months! The so called "perfect ones" without all the bad ingredients, most of them my two will not even touch. Talk about picky eaters lol. I am driving myself crazy. They seem to prefer shredded rather than pate, tho they will eat some pate.
I have had the most luck with Dave's chicken, Blue Buffalo chicken and turkey shredded, Earthborn Holistic chicken, Wuerva Chicken varieties, Tiki cat chicken, Stella and Chewey turkey, duck and chicken varieties, Wellness chicken varieties and Ziwipeak air dried lamb. I have tried many other different proteins such as Beef, Duck, Venison, and Rabbit and they won't touch it, or they eat it very slowly, or hardly at all. I have thrown out so much food!! It seems from my list they prefer only chicken lol.
Some on my list that they will eat I hope are not too bad. I want to get a good rotation going.
Today I bought Instinct frozen raw bites and neither one wold touch it. I let it defrost, but I think they just don't like that it is still cold. I am going to try giving a little again tomorrow.
They also seem to like the ones in gravy,which are not the best choice for them, so I try to use a better pate and mix in a shredded one with a little gravy.
If anyone has any other suggestions let me know. I am feeding all wet and some freeze dried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Premier Cat

vlapinta,
Do you shop at your local independent store? Different stores will carry varying types of brands, and they certainly know their stuff, including ingredients, so you may find something that meets your criteria there than big box stores. Some independent stores will even offer a few cans as samples or take back unopened cans, just inquire what their return policies are, including commercial raw.

Or, you may simply have to lower your expectations a bit in canned versions of food. If you plan on rotating brands, it may not really be that big of a deal that they get some gums or carrageenan every once in a while, and not all the time if you're worried about finding the "perfect food". Imho, there is no perfect food, lol. That's why I try to rotate brands and proteins, so my cats can have a more balanced diet. But do what works for you, too, don't stress so much over it.

I have found from the yahoo raw cat forum that many cat owners find raw pork to be one of most cat's favorite protein, along with the poultry types like your Cisco. I buy pork from the supermarket, a human grade meat with some fats, which cats metabolize better than carbs. Hound and Gatos have canned pork (pate), which seems to go ok with both my cats. But they had it their way, they would eat rabbit, venison, duck and brushtail (the most expensive proteins, of course) all the time! Weirdly, they both do not go bonkers for chicken or turkey as much, whether it's canned or raw. Only exception is Tiki Cat and Weruva's fowl ball. Something magical about the broth, I think.

Hope you get more suggestions from others!

Last edited by TabbCatt; 10-15-2015 at 11:08 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

The "perfect food" I agree does not exist, or if it does my two will not even look at it lol. I do not have any independent pet food stores in may area. Sadly all the big box stores took over. We have PetCo, Pet Value and Pet Smart. Wet food is all new, so that is why I am trying anything I see that looks like it has decent ingredients, so I know if I can add it to my rotation of foods.
I will look for the Hounds and Gatos pork and give that a try. They haven't tried anything pork yet. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hey at least Crisco is eating better and trying new things.

Have you any opinion on the Ziwipeak air dry food? Do you think it's more similar to dry food? Both seem to like it so I have been giving it once in a while as a late night treat before bed.

Last edited by vlapinta; 10-16-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:39 AM
Premier Cat

I'm glad to hear Crisco is eating better and trying new things, and hope he likes pork...it's pretty fatty, so one would think he'd like it, but who knows? I don't have a Pet Value here in our area, but I know I'd rather shop at PetCo than PetSmart for canned cat food in general. How about a feed store? I think some people are able to find some great deals there, but I've never found anything that's worth driving 30-50 miles for me around here.

Unfortunately, no, I haven't tried Ziwipeak's air dry food, it looks almost like jerky meat to me, which I think would be a bit hard for my cats to eat. Is it hard like I think it is? Right now, I'm pretty stocked with treats and freeze dried stuff from NV, S&C, Orijen, etc, so I'm not looking to buy it anytime soon.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbCatt View Post
I'm glad to hear Crisco is eating better and trying new things, and hope he likes pork...it's pretty fatty, so one would think he'd like it, but who knows? I don't have a Pet Value here in our area, but I know I'd rather shop at PetCo than PetSmart for canned cat food in general. How about a feed store? I think some people are able to find some great deals there, but I've never found anything that's worth driving 30-50 miles for me around here.

Unfortunately, no, I haven't tried Ziwipeak's air dry food, it looks almost like jerky meat to me, which I think would be a bit hard for my cats to eat. Is it hard like I think it is? Right now, I'm pretty stocked with treats and freeze dried stuff from NV, S&C, Orijen, etc, so I'm not looking to buy it anytime soon.
The Ziwipeak air dried is not as hard as jerky. Crisco loves it. Cali took a little time to warm up to it, but now when she sees me with the bag, she comes running too, I think it is a much healthier option than dry kibble, I don't feed it as a staple, more like a treat. Some nights I leave a bit out over night. The moisture content is 15%.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:02 AM
Cat

I know exactly how you feel..

My two kittens, siblings, will eat any food I put in front of them. But my senior? Hah! She's the very definition of picky. It's beyond frustrating.

And I, too, am very particular about what they eat. Which makes finding an affordable food that she will actually eat like trying to find a needle in SEVERAL haystacks.

Anyways - is ordering online an option for you? I live in a small town so I always get my cat/dog stuff from Chewy.com. It's the only way I can find numerous different brands of food.

And as for good food brands themselves, here are some from my personal list:
- FirstMate
- Hill's Ideal Balance: Grain-Free
- Nature's Variety: Instinct Limited-Ingredient (only one on my list that my senior will eat)
- Halo: Impulse (my top choice - it's affordable and also great quality)
- Halo: Vigor

Sadly, all of these are pates (except perhaps for Hill's, which looks like it could be more of a minced texture), but I suppose it's worth a shot.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustine View Post
I know exactly how you feel..

My two kittens, siblings, will eat any food I put in front of them. But my senior? Hah! She's the very definition of picky. It's beyond frustrating.

And I, too, am very particular about what they eat. Which makes finding an affordable food that she will actually eat like trying to find a needle in SEVERAL haystacks.

Anyways - is ordering online an option for you? I live in a small town so I always get my cat/dog stuff from Chewy.com. It's the only way I can find numerous different brands of food.

And as for good food brands themselves, here are some from my personal list:
- FirstMate
- Hill's Ideal Balance: Grain-Free
- Nature's Variety: Instinct Limited-Ingredient (only one on my list that my senior will eat)
- Halo: Impulse (my top choice - it's affordable and also great quality)
- Halo: Vigor

Sadly, all of these are pates (except perhaps for Hill's, which looks like it could be more of a minced texture), but I suppose it's worth a shot.
Thank you for response. I order from Chewey all the time. In fact my husband asked me the other day how much can two cats eat when he saw all the food I ordered. My problem is I don't want to order a case, and then find out they hate it. It is so much easier to try a few cans first. I ordered a case of Dave's beef and chicken, turkey, and chicken varieties. All they would eat was the chicken. I tried the instinct varieties and they barely ate any of it. What they won't eat I am donating to a local rescue. I haven't tried first mate or Halo. They might be worth a try if I can find them locally. There is 1 feed store that I haven't been to in years. It might be worth a trip to see what they carry.

So far my two will eat Dave's chicken, Earthborn Holistic chicken cattcciatore, Tiki in the chicken varieties, Blue Buffalo chicken and turkey minced, Wellness chicken and Wellness signature varieties in chicken and turkey in gravy. I am trying to limit the gravy food, but given the choice, that is probably all they will eat! All of the ones they eat are premium brands but many unfortunately contain gums or carrageen.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Cat Addict

I use Ziwi Peak but it took 3 attempts to get Kiki to eat it. First time she sniffed then went around the bowl scraping like she was covering in the litter box and flatly refused to eat. I tried second time with kibble which she delicately pulled out from the food. Third try was by mixing in Fancy feast and slowly reducing the qty till it was just the Ziwi Peak. Occasionally she rebels and we add in fancy feast to get back on track again. Hope that trick might help you
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny bf View Post
I use Ziwi Peak but it took 3 attempts to get Kiki to eat it. First time she sniffed then went around the bowl scraping like she was covering in the litter box and flatly refused to eat. I tried second time with kibble which she delicately pulled out from the food. Third try was by mixing in Fancy feast and slowly reducing the qty till it was just the Ziwi Peak. Occasionally she rebels and we add in fancy feast to get back on track again. Hope that trick might help you
I read somewhere to start with just a small dot next to the food they eat and just leave it for a few days so they get used to the smell of the new food. Then start mixing a little of the new food in with the old food. I put a dot of the new food on both of their dishes for almost a week. Crisco left that dot right where it was. Then I started mixing in a dot into his food. He refused to touch the food at all! He would just go over and sniff and walk away lol. Sooo frustrating. It almost seems like he doesn't like any food that is dark in color like beef, or rabbit.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Premier Cat

Vlapinta, just wondered if you have a Trader Joe's in your area? My Murphy was turning up his nose at every wet food I tried until I discovered Trader Joe's brand canned food (which is unfortunately only available in the stores and not online), and is only 79 cents a can. The two turkey flavors have been given an "A-" kind of rating by one of the nutrition experts here, which was good enough for me considering it was the only wet food he would eat. So, once a month or so we make a trip into Portland to go to Trader Joe's.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page