HI, I wanted to introduce myself and my cat - possible CRF issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

HI, I wanted to introduce myself and my cat - possible CRF issues

My name is Heather and my old man kitty is Baby Kat. He is 20 1/2 and was diagnosed with moderate kidney failure about 8 years ago. He has been quite well, never any trouble eating, he does pee quite a bit, drinks a decent amount and in the past 6 months was put on fluid, initially 100 ml once a week and then my vet upped it to 100 ml twice a week just to take any additional stress off of his kidneys. She said his condition had not progressed but she thought it would help him in the long run. As of 3 months ago he started having seizures and was put on phenobarbital and has not had a seizure since, he has however had dizzy spells, at least once a month for the past three months. The first day of the dizzy spell he doesn't want to get up and walk around and you can tell he is dizzy, day two he will get up and start moving around slowly and by day three he is pretty much back to normal. I took him to the vet and they don't know if it due to the meds or possibly a brain tumor that set off the seizures. The vet didn't mention that it could be due to complications from CFR. Has anyone else experienced these types of dizzy spells with their cats and had their vet tie it to CRF? I have read on a couple of websites that it could be coming from dehydration or other complications of the CRF. I feel like there is probably a wealth of knowledge in this forum so I thought I would ask.
Thank you for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Heather,
I don't have any ideas about this, I just wanted to send some (((HUGS))) and support for you and Kitty Kat...
I hope someone will have some knowledge, to share with you soon...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Cool Cat

Sounds like your "old man" is a real trooper. stable for 8 full years after the initial diagnosis. good for him!

i'm sorry that time has just started to rear its ugly head, though. the only thing i can contribute is that i helped to care for an older cat at a rescue (a mere 15 years old actually) once who DID also experience dizziness once her kidneys started getting real bad. she'd been rescued off the streets only a year before. she was immediately checked up by the vet and was put on fluids everyday for her kidneys and did pretty well. after about a year, though, her heart also started to weaken and they had to cut the fluids down to 2-3X/week because her heart couldn't take it. i was told she would be wobbly on her feet due to dehydration. that was 2nd hand info from the person who talked to the vet, though. i did not speak to the vet myself.

so, maybe your guy IS have the dizzy spells because of a little dehydration. depending on the stage of CRF your guy is in, i'd ask the vet again about maybe increasing the frequency of fluids. i don't know anything about the other medication he is getting, though, so have no good advice on whether that could be it, too. my own 15 year old girl was diagnosed stage 2 CRF/CKD @2 1/2 years ago. she started with 100 ml 2-3X/week but she's been getting them everyday now for maybe a 1 1/2 years and she's been stable with that - KNOCKING ON WOOD!!!

good luck to you and baby kat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 11:50 PM
Cool Cat

8 years, wow.... Im glad i read this thread. I cant offer any advice, but with my kitty recently diagnosed with CKD/CRF, this thread gives me hope So, although i cant help with your question im glad i popped in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page