5mo clicking noises in jaw and gagging - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

5mo clicking noises in jaw and gagging

My 5mo Kitty started making a jaw clicking noise this morning after he had dry food.

So two days ago he had his desex surgery, everything is healing fine and he is eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom normally. Redness has been decreasing. but would like to point this out in case it is related.

His diet -- I have an autofeeder that dispenses Dry food three times a day, Just in case for whatever reason I cannot be home. On a normal day, breakfast lunch and dinner, I feed him 1/3 can of wetfood (as he wouldnt empty his bowl if I give him more than this), one pouch of chicken / fish / seafood mousse (it's in Japanese, and he absolute LOVES THESE! He always licks the bowl clean. they smell incredible too, one of these days I will have to try a pouch myself!). And if he still wants food he will go for the dry food from the autofeeder.

He is 5 to 6mo tabby white, 2.7kg.

This morning I was sleeping and I heard my kitty eating dry food (I wanna sleep in a little later during weekend so I'm sorry, I normally won't deliberately get up and open a can of food for him). After that he jumped onto my bed next to my pillow where he normally sleeps, and he started making a clicking noise in his jaw. He would massage the sides of his cheeks with his paws and make a gagging noise as if trying to spit out something on purpose, and open + close his jaw and make clicking noises. He did this for the whole morning. He was still eating his food despite the clicking and gagging.

I thought about the possibility of him losing his baby teeth but one is lodged in his mouth or throat? Or did he dislocate his jaw?

Since he just had surgery, He was kept in a cage day1, and I let him roam freely day2 but without engaging him in playtime as he tends to get psycho. Did he break his jaw eating dry food? I gently ran my fingers from his ears to his jaw, he had no pain reaction and I don't notice anything where it shouldn't be, but then I'm not a vet.

Today is Sunday and the shelter doctor is off duty, I will take him to the doc tomorrow if this continues. But please let me know if you have any idea what this is and if it's an emergency.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Premier Cat

Pinkegg,
Does he eat fast? Maybe a piece of food got stuck in his back teeth...
It could be a tooth problem...
If it keeps up, I would suggest a vet trip, just to be on the safe side!
I hope he'll be fine!
Perhaps other's will have some insights for you!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

the clicking seemed to have gone away by itself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:48 AM
Cat Addict

Just seen your thread. That must be a relief. Hope it doesn't make a return.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a baby tooth issue. It may have come out but was stuck and he was trying to dislodge it. The clicking probably came from his jaw as he was trying to contort his mouth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page