Toenail, something to be concerned about? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Toenail, something to be concerned about?

I just noticed this now while combing my cat. It doesnt seem to bother her, at all, i can even touch it... but ive never noticed it appear like this. But im also probably more paranoid with what recently happened.

Shes due for a checkup this coming week anyway, but i just wanted to see what you all thought. Its not interfereing with mood or even her walking or litterbox usage at all. It just seems like her toe is bald. havent noticed her picking at it either.

Heres the best pic i could get before my battery died on me.

Dont mind her "shaved legs" in the front, as weve been calling them, that was from her IV and blood testing. her right back leg though is what im wondering about, looks like second toe in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Cool Cat

is it just a very long claw that needs to be clipped when she goes in for a checkup? i couldn't totally tell from the pic.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

dont their claws shed on their own though, every so often? Not the entire thing, but like, casing? how do i tell if that needs to happen but just hasnt been able to yet? I dont want to yank on it and hurt her... she may need a trim, it has been a while.

luckily im in next week anyway, i just wanted to know. i checked it a bit to see if it was just fur wound up around it, but it doesnt seem to be, it does seem attached. perhaps she had been picking at it but i havent noticed it yet? Hmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:37 AM
Senior Cat

Hard to say from picture, but maybe it's just a claw with few layers that haven't come off yet? It sometimes happens to my cat. One of the claws get super thick and weird looking. I usually trim it then and it helps the layers to come off.

Not sure about lack of fur tho...

Anna + Josie and Blackberry
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Kitten

Most cats need a nail trimming every 2-3 weeks, or they get long enough to irritate them.
I dunno about the bald looking toe, sounds like your kitty isn't unhappy, and you have a vet appointment soon.

Last edited by marie73; 10-20-2015 at 03:00 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:47 AM
Premier Cat

Celia's rear claws do that too sometimes. I don't know why - one always sticks out much more than the others. It doesn't seem to bother her, and it's not always that noticeable, so I guess the nail sheath does shed normally. It just seems to not shed as often, or maybe that claw is typically longer than the others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page