Ringworm risk - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Ringworm risk

At the shelter where I volunteer, there's a black kitten named Lady Bee. She'd been moved to the clinic, and she was really bored. So I played with her, and petted her for a while. Then I found out she's got ringworm. How contagious is it? I know it's a fungal infection, and I've heard it's really itchy. What are the risks of catching it from a cat, or passing it ion to Robin?

btw, A home remedy: according to my mom, burnt pipe tobacco applied to the site will kill ringworm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Premier Cat

I have had foster cats and kittens with ringworm and clean the cages in the sick room at the facility where most of them are there for ringworm. I have never contracted it or passed it on to any of my cats. Main thing is, wash your hands after you handle the kitten and if you are really worried, change your clothes when you get home. If you do end up getting it use an over the counter anti fungal.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Tom Cat

Honestly it's not the worst thing in the world. If your immune system is good and your cat is a healthy adult with a functional immune system both of you will probably be ok. This is definitely not your first exposure to ringworm. If you spend any amount of time gardening, hiking, playing frisbee outdoors you've probably been exposed and you've likely brought it into your house on your shoes. It's a natural and relatively common fungus outside. Those with less developed immune systems- kids, kittens, puppies, and elderly cats and dogs or those with compromised immune systems (both human and animal) are more likely to have problems.

Ringworm is unsightly and itchy but it is mostly a mere nuisance in most cases. It can be treated with oral fungicides (at a high price) or topical jock itch cream or vinegar. When my cat had it I used a tea tree oil anti-fungal bodywash (advertised for foot fungus) as a preventative. But my husband didn't use it and he still didn't contract ringworm.

We've had an outbreak of ringworm at our shelter for the last few months in our ISO ward. ISO is where new cats from the streets come in. When a cat experiences a big change their immune system suffers a little bit under the stress. So it has spread. But no volunteer who works in ISO has contracted ringworm or passed it along to their own pets.

I personally don't view ringworm as a big deal. The worst part of it as I see it is that we can't adopt out cats with ringworm because we make sure the cats are at their best before they go up for adoption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Senior Cat

I had a fried and her cats had ringworm. I played with them and interacted with her, and my cats didn't contract it. So I guess there is a chance your cat will not get it. Fingers crossed.

Anna + Josie and Blackberry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page